We’re in this together! Stay safe with our COVID-19 guide

View
×
Sitejabber Website Reviews and Complaints

Book Outlet

Book Outlet has a consumer rating of 4.71 stars from 18,969 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with Book Outlet most frequently mention great prices, free shipping and credit card. Book Outlet ranks 1st among Books Other sites.

This company responds to reviews on average within 2 days

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 93.7%
17,687

• Every time I have ordered from book outlet, it has always been fast delivery and all great quality books.
  • Always a fabulous shopping experience on Book Outlet!

• Everything proceeded very well except I had a few problems with the payment method.
How would you rate Book Outlet?
Business's Favorite Review

“Five books from Book Outlet”

Hugh P.
8/23/21

I went onsite to order one book! Five books later, and therefore enough spent for free shipping, I completed the order. Very smooth, no problems whatsoever. The books arrived on time and in excellent condition.

See full review

“Great Deals on Books You Actually Want”

Patricia B.
9/10/21

If you're looking for deals on books, hardcover, paperback, trade paperback and even library binding then this is the place. Books are overstock from other major booksellers, but are not used copies. Aside from a possibly occasional crimped corner or price sticker these books are in excellent condition. Each book has a small dot on one of the sides of paper to show that it's an overstocked title, but you wont see if when your books are shelved. Ideal for those who love hardcover books but don't want to pay upwards of $40 per title!

Reviews (18,969)

shopping experience (179) love shopping (168) customer service (71) payment method (68) credit card (132) quality books (36)
patriciab2731
September 10th, 2021

helenr573
April 23rd, 2021
Verified site experience

You're a Super Dealer with More than Reasonable Prices - AAA-1 (Triple A-1 Gold-Plated) - I Fully Intend to Highly Praise You; in Fact, I Have Recommended You to 1 Other Person Already - i. E. - Within 1 Hour of Finding Out About Your ''Better-than-Wholesale'' Firm and Buying a Hard Cover Book at a ''Read-iculous'' Price as You Put It. Thanks a Million. Sincerely - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Helen (Richard)

prakrutip1
July 17th, 2021
Verified site experience

This is my first order! Hope I will get the books on time and good condition for my daughter's summer time. I found the site good and also wish that this site can add more books at low prices for parents. Only one thing I am not sure is there any free returns or not? Hope I don't have to return anything because I love the titles. Please put more description about books so parents can see how many pages and front and back pictures of books at least.

taylera10
August 13th, 2021

Excellent prices, can't be beat. Great quality books and a good selection. Lots of options for educational tools for children too. Will shop here again. 10/10

Books

jonm612
July 7th, 2021

The website was easy to navigate and had many price options. Shipping was also done quickly and came sooner than I expected which made an overall great experience. Thanks :)

a book

jacic11
June 18th, 2021
• Updated review

It was difficult for me to realize how to effect the end of my transaction; there were no instructions, so I kept moving up & down the site to see where I could click on that my order was finished. Other than that, it was ok.
I received the 10 books I ordered 4 days later. Incredibly fast turn around time. All books were in mint condition. Great prices, great service. I will definitely be a repeat customer. I'm so glad to have found Book Outlet which is a Canadian book seller. Thank you.

Reason I chose this business:

I was really interested in finding a Canadian company to do business with. It’s great to do business in Canadian dollars. Great to have books shipped from within Canada, less time or holdups at the border.
So glad Book Outlet came up on my google search.

It was difficult for me to realize how to effect the...
June 13th, 2021

tanyab341
September 11th, 2021

I ordered a copy of The Complete Anne of Green Gables from Book Outlet and sadly when it arrived the box and first book were damaged. I reached out to their customer service team to report the damage and see what they could do, and they offered to replace the entire set free of charge.

The team members I spoke with were kind and expedient and the new set arrived just the other day, in perfect condition. It's now the crown jewel of my collection.

The Complete Anne of Green Gables, published by Virago Press UK.

matthewa407
August 3rd, 2021

After ordering twice from BookOutlet, I continue to find incredible deals on used or overstocked books. I always check this site first before going to a major book store.

Every order is well packaged so the books aren't damaged. Amazon and Indigo can take a note from them in this regard. If a particular book is shipped damaged, they state it up front on the item's page.

I will always buy my books from BookOutlet as all the local book shops in my area have been closed due to a recent pesky virus or big box stores shutting them out of the market.

Books

paulf997
June 2nd, 2021
Verified site experience

I love shopping on Bookoutlet! So many great deals. My only real suggestion would be to add a feature that shows when we've already purchased a book. As somebody who reads a lot and purchases in bulk, I've accidentally bought a second copy of books from the site before and dislike having to go through all past orders to double check if I've already bought said book.

anatf1
July 2nd, 2021
• Updated review

I only recently discovered Book Outlet while browsing the web, and they quickly became my new favourite book store. Their selection of titles is somewhat limited compared to other online stores. However, you can find some awesome books there, and they have great deals, great prices, and outstanding delivery. I highly recommend Book Outlet to any book lover out there - a great shopping experience!

Reason I chose this business:

Great prices. Great deals. Great delivery. And proudly Canadian!

Great shopping experience and great prices
June 26th, 2021
amanday325
March 26th, 2021
Verified site experience

Always fun to look around in different categories... you never know what you'll find!

scotto389
June 19th, 2021
Verified site experience

It's always great. I actually only hopped on here to buy one book in hopes of getting a new bookmark for my young nephew. My last order came with a cool one he could colour - and he uses it all the time. But unfortunately, his little brother just destroyed it. So I told him I'd buy another book in hopes of it coming with the "colouring" bookmark. 4 books later... LOL. Prices are cheap and shopping is so simple. I always buy more than planned.: P

karenb2628
July 5th, 2021
Verified site experience

Not a fan of the new checkout. I filled in all fields, clicked "manage addresses" and lost everything, had to start all over again. Also, confirming CV after literally JUST filling it in is repetitive and tedious. Prior to your website updates my information was already on my account, but you wiped it so I had to fill everything out again, delaying what was supposed to be a quick and easy order. It was just a hassle and pain in the ass.

joya186
September 12th, 2021
Verified site experience
• Updated review

Excellent as always... just had a little trouble finding out how to use the points earned... took a little searching for the information, b/c it doesn't tell you in the email that you receive that provides the code, that you also have to use a password, and what that password it... i only finally found that by searching the website, within my account, to find out how to apply the $ from points earned. But otherwise, love love love shopping with your company :)

This is a wonderful outlet to shop...
July 10th, 2021
• Previous review

This is a wonderful outlet to shop... love the great selection, the easy ordering process, the reward system, and the quick, careful, and efficient delivery! I am delighted to have 'discovered' Book Outlet! Thank you so so much :)

ellaw95
August 6th, 2021

I ordered four books for only about thirty dollars, and it took around a week to arrive at my house. The books were all in great condition; only one book had a bit of damage on the dust jacket, which I had expected since they were bargain book copies. Overall, I am very pleased with the price of the books as well as the quality. I would definitely recommend this site for book shopping.

Reason I chose this business:

I saw many TikToks where people purchased books from Book Outlet and gave good reviews.

janetu264
July 2nd, 2021
• Updated review

When ordering on-line once, I discovered Book Outlet and was both surprised and delighted by the price. It got even better when I realized that they were Canadian and located in my Province.
The books are received in excellent condition… they are all new! Title choices great and when they didn't have one title, offered to put me on a wish list and notify me when they receive it. Again, what service!

Excellent!

Price and service.

After the first one, this was easy!
April 3rd, 2021
• Previous review

After the first one, this was easy!
Question: I want to give books as gifts. Are there any Markings in the books indicating that they are discounted?

marjoriel62
July 20th, 2021
• Updated review

Book Outlet definitely saves money. While I cannot find every book there, I do find "zillions." When I did not receive an order--during Covid--Book Outlet refunded my money, telling me to keep the books if they did ever arrive. And they did... likely they had been hung up in some postal warehouse for months. With their quick response and desire to meet customer needs, I will continue to purchase from Book Outlet. They also have good rewards, interesting surveys, and really encourage a love of reading.

I already did in previous comment, so I won't force you to read it again.

Reason I chose this business:

Initially, it was a random find. Since using it, my experience has been 100%... maybe 110%--positive!

I love Book Outlet
April 18th, 2021
• Previous review

I love Book Outlet. I appreciate the prices and the range of books.

robertc4341
July 29th, 2021
• Updated review

Pain-free and easy-to-use! Good description of Marianne Moore book. Unfortunately, you haven't got Experimental Landscapes by Ann BLOCKLEY. It's a fabulous resource book for landscape painters. Please advise me if you get it. Thank you!

It was fantastic. Delivery was very fast. Prices excellent. Merchandise A-1. I will order again.

Reason I chose this business:

Prices were more than competitive and selection of titles very good.

Pain-free and easy-to-use!
June 24th, 2021

samanthay66
June 30th, 2021

Love ordering from the book outlet. They also have a local store (which I highly recommend) my only complaint would be not having full series in stock.

claudeena
April 1st, 2021
Verified site experience

Each order has a book or 2 that is totally unreadable (pages blurred, book upside down in binding. Hard to return or exchange. I am not very tech savvy and I don't know how to send pictures to show damage. For example, Design Sponge by Grace Bonney which I bought as a coffee table book came damaged as if it was dropped on all the corners. You can see the cardboard of the cover. Obviously I can, t use this as a coffee table book. I have to buy it again. Also sometimes tickets just get deleted without a response.

* Book Outlet attempted to help this customer through the Sitejabber Resolution Center, but the customer did not respond

danielc2422
May 14th, 2021
Verified site experience

Don't like how you setup auto-pay with paypal - customer should be given an option.

More details about the books would also be appreciated. I have to look up every book manually on Amazon since page count is often not populated and there are no details other than a smallish front cover. Consider moving book size higher on the page so I don't need to scroll down - this is probably a non-issue for certain genres, but for kids books it is important.

nataliep246
August 30th, 2021

I was thrilled when I came across this website. I was extremely happy with how easy it was to navigate, and how much selection there was. As a book outlet store, they had exceptional products for very reasonable prices. Great service and the products shipped fast. I have received all my books in under a week. Will definitely buy here more often!

bettyg494
May 25th, 2021
Verified site experience

After having issues between Book Outlet USA and Book Outlet Canada - see previous rating on US site, after completing the US order, I went to delete ONE book from this cart and everything disappeared. It took me an extra 30 minutes to find what I wanted to order. I can't yet say if I would recommend Book Outlet because it's my first time purchasing from either site. The prices are great, quality of books will determine my recommendations.

carlam428
June 28th, 2021

The price of the entire, huge stack of books I just bought for my children (and, okay, myself) was so low that I literally covered it with the proceeds from a yard sale. This also means that after this winter, when we've read our way through the stack, we'll be able to hold on to our favourites and find new homes for the rest without worrying that we "wasted money" on the ones we don't keep.

Reason I chose this business:

My entire family are avid readers, and I was looking for an inexpensive way to try different authors and genres.

mikek1150
August 2nd, 2021
Verified site experience

This purchasing process must be simple because i haven't cursed at it.

booko
Jennifer B. – Book Outlet Rep

Thank you for your feedback! Once an order is successfully placed an order confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with your Book Outlet account. Once the order ships another email is sent with tracking information! As I can see this was your first purchase with us these emails may have filtered into your junk or spam folder. Should any more questions or concerns arise please feel welcome to reach out to our Customer Service Team by creating a Service Inquiry on our website!

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Book Outlet staff and other customers.

Book Outlet’s core purpose is Enchanting the Mind - one book at a time! We're passionate about making reading affordable, and are happy to offer a large selection of new bargain books for up to 90% off original list price -- along with free standard shipping on orders over $45 CAD!

We have been recognized for overall business performance and sustained growth with the prestigious Canada’s Best Managed Companies designation in 2021.

Business History

The roots of Book Outlet go back to the year 1985 and the entrepreneurial vision of John Hultink, our company’s founder.

John is one of five brothers who, together with his parents, immigrated to Canada from the Netherlands shortly after World War II, seeking a better life across the Atlantic. Like many immigrant families, those early years were not easy but that struggle had a pivotal influence on the roots of our company.

John’s passion for books and his entrepreneurial drive began well before 1985, going back to the early 1970s when he founded a small publishing company that translated Dutch books into English. These books appealed to many immigrant families across Canada who wanted their children to have the same experiences they had grown to know and love as children.

After witnessing the impact that books had in the lives of immigrant families, John was determined to make books accessible to all families across the globe by offering them at affordable prices - and that was the beginning of Book Outlet!

Since the early 1970s, Book Outlet has evolved both as a business and a brand. Our community of bargain book lovers continues to grow daily and we have a tireless desire to dream big, innovate and provide our customers with the best possible experience.

We recognize that as a company, we are only as good as our people. That is why it has been a goal of ours to build a company culture that fuels curiosity, creativity and sustainable growth. In 2021, we were recognized for overall business performance and sustained growth with the prestigious Canada’s Best Managed Companies designation.

booko
Jennifer B.
Book Outlet Customer Experience
Typically responds within 2 days

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Book Outlet?

See reviews as you browse with our Firefox extension

4.7
19,380 reviews
Have a question about Book Outlet?