Sitejabber Website Reviews and Complaints

Book Outlet

Book Outlet has a consumer rating of 4.71 stars from 35,123 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with Book Outlet most frequently mention great prices, free shipping and fast delivery.Book Outlet ranks 1st among Books Other sites.

This company does not typically respond to reviews

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 93.6%
26,653
1,382

• Every time I have ordered from book outlet, it has always been fast delivery and all great quality books.
  • Always a fabulous shopping experience on Book Outlet!

• Everything proceeded very well except I had a few problems with the payment method.
How would you rate Book Outlet?
Business's Favorite Review

“Five books from Book Outlet”

Hugh P.
8/23/21

I went onsite to order one book! Five books later, and therefore enough spent for free shipping, I completed the order. Very smooth, no problems whatsoever. The books arrived on time and in excellent condition.

See full review

“I've ordered a few times now, very happy with my packages,...”

Margaret L.
3/5/22

I've ordered a few times now, very happy with my packages, only complaint is the limited selection when looking for certain authors... but I realize its due to what's available from where you receive your books, I just have to keep checking, which in itself is great, too. I do like the suggestions that 'other people also purchased' when selecting a title, as it sends me down the rabbit hole for other good finds. :)

Reviews (35,123)

shopping experience (179) love shopping (168) customer service (71) payment method (68) credit card (132) quality books (36)
patriciab2731
September 10th, 2021

If you're looking for deals on books, hardcover, paperback, trade paperback and even library binding then this is the place. Books are overstock from other major booksellers, but are not used copies. Aside from a possibly occasional crimped corner or price sticker these books are in excellent condition. Each book has a small dot on one of the sides of paper to show that it's an overstocked title, but you wont see if when your books are shelved. Ideal for those who love hardcover books but don't want to pay upwards of $40 per title!

margaretl1005
March 5th, 2022
• Updated review

Had issues entering cc info
January 15th, 2022
helenr573
April 23rd, 2021
Verified site experience

You're a Super Dealer with More than Reasonable Prices - AAA-1 (Triple A-1 Gold-Plated) - I Fully Intend to Highly Praise You; in Fact, I Have Recommended You to 1 Other Person Already - i. E. - Within 1 Hour of Finding Out About Your ''Better-than-Wholesale'' Firm and Buying a Hard Cover Book at a ''Read-iculous'' Price as You Put It. Thanks a Million. Sincerely - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Helen (Richard)

stane33
May 6th, 2022
Verified site experience
• Updated review

Smooth process today. Previous order, identical, quite satisfactory product. I continue to enjoy shopping at bookoutlet dot ca and would recommend. Shopping Cart might be a bit more user foolproof like the latest website incarnations from my bank, internet provider, and a common bigbox online retailer. And don't ask patrons to "submit". Rather "send"is much more euphemistic.

Checkout was somewhat confusing to follow, presently...
March 20th, 2022
• Previous review

Checkout was somewhat confusing to follow, presently with my separate addresses for shipping and billing. I've enjoyed shopping at Book Outlet from-time-to-time over the years.

hollyb460
November 25th, 2021
Verified site experience

Love some of the changes like the option when checking out to redeem points. Nice breakdown of website! Great prices! Overall an amazing shopping experience and a great way to get people reading at a better cost! Very family oriented and helpful from a financial standpoint after many people have struggled through a pandemic and now are trying to provide a wonderful Christmas for their children!

karenb2628
July 5th, 2021
Verified site experience

Not a fan of the new checkout. I filled in all fields, clicked "manage addresses" and lost everything, had to start all over again. Also, confirming CV after literally JUST filling it in is repetitive and tedious. Prior to your website updates my information was already on my account, but you wiped it so I had to fill everything out again, delaying what was supposed to be a quick and easy order. It was just a hassle and pain in the $#*!.

jacic11
June 18th, 2021
• Updated review

It was difficult for me to realize how to effect the end of my transaction; there were no instructions, so I kept moving up & down the site to see where I could click on that my order was finished. Other than that, it was ok.
I received the 10 books I ordered 4 days later. Incredibly fast turn around time. All books were in mint condition. Great prices, great service. I will definitely be a repeat customer. I'm so glad to have found Book Outlet which is a Canadian book seller. Thank you.

Reason I chose this business:

I was really interested in finding a Canadian company to do business with. It’s great to do business in Canadian dollars. Great to have books shipped from within Canada, less time or holdups at the border.
So glad Book Outlet came up on my google search.

It was difficult for me to realize how to effect the...
June 13th, 2021

prakrutip1
July 17th, 2021
Verified site experience

This is my first order! Hope I will get the books on time and good condition for my daughter's summer time. I found the site good and also wish that this site can add more books at low prices for parents. Only one thing I am not sure is there any free returns or not? Hope I don't have to return anything because I love the titles. Please put more description about books so parents can see how many pages and front and back pictures of books at least.

taylera10
August 13th, 2021

Excellent prices, can't be beat. Great quality books and a good selection. Lots of options for educational tools for children too. Will shop here again. 10/10

Books

donnas2921
May 18th, 2022
Verified site experience

Really like the selection and feel there is good value. However, I find myself looking for more ways to filter the selection. I wish there were better sorting options to help navigate the sheer volume of books. Suggest having a way to filter by "Almost Gone" books with less that 10 or less than 5 remaining, filter by "Added Today or in the last week etc (set time window)", filter to include/exclude "Biblical" books genre,

jonm612
July 7th, 2021

The website was easy to navigate and had many price options. Shipping was also done quickly and came sooner than I expected which made an overall great experience. Thanks :)

a book

theressae1
October 11th, 2021

My son still enjoys illustrations with his reading, so Big Nate's story series works out nicely.
Be sure it's the books with numbers on them.
Great deal that book outlet offered!

tanyab341
September 11th, 2021

I ordered a copy of The Complete Anne of Green Gables from Book Outlet and sadly when it arrived the box and first book were damaged. I reached out to their customer service team to report the damage and see what they could do, and they offered to replace the entire set free of charge.

The team members I spoke with were kind and expedient and the new set arrived just the other day, in perfect condition. It's now the crown jewel of my collection.

The Complete Anne of Green Gables, published by Virago Press UK.

paulf997
June 2nd, 2021
Verified site experience

I love shopping on Bookoutlet! So many great deals. My only real suggestion would be to add a feature that shows when we've already purchased a book. As somebody who reads a lot and purchases in bulk, I've accidentally bought a second copy of books from the site before and dislike having to go through all past orders to double check if I've already bought said book.

nicolef974
March 29th, 2022
Verified site experience

Easy to find what I like, checkout and get my goodies delivered! Also after many orders I'm amazed at the quality I get for the price (even got a signed book once). I only had a quality issue with one book out of dozens and all it took was a quick chat with customer service and a replacement was promptly sent!
Thank you Book Outlet for allowing me to build a great library for my littles while sticking to a budget!

amandam1736
May 17th, 2022
Verified site experience
• Updated review

I absolutely love bookoutlet! There is such a great variety and always awesome sales on top of already low cost books! It's hard to believe we can get books for these prices! I homeschool my 5 year old and therefor her education costs are 100% on me—I am grateful for such an awesome service because this allows us to get lots of educational material without spending full retail—which means more books for us!

I love that I can get amazing discounts on books!
November 12th, 2021
• Previous review

I love that I can get amazing discounts on books! It allows me to find more titles to enjoy.

Love it!
August 24th, 2021
• Previous review

Love it! Great prices and selection!

candicem201
June 19th, 2021
Verified site experience

It's always great. I actually only hopped on here to buy one book in hopes of getting a new bookmark for my young nephew. My last order came with a cool one he could colour - and he uses it all the time. But unfortunately, his little brother just destroyed it. So I told him I'd buy another book in hopes of it coming with the "colouring" bookmark. 4 books later... LOL. Prices are cheap and shopping is so simple. I always buy more than planned.: P

jocelyno14
September 22nd, 2021

Nothing but good things to say about this site. Put through 2 large orders so far and they come quickly with very high quality books. I will be a lifelong customer for sure! Only draw back is no tracking for parcels, but haven't had any issues getting them so no complaints!

joya186
September 12th, 2021
Verified site experience
• Updated review

Excellent as always... just had a little trouble finding out how to use the points earned... took a little searching for the information, b/c it doesn't tell you in the email that you receive that provides the code, that you also have to use a password, and what that password it... i only finally found that by searching the website, within my account, to find out how to apply the $ from points earned. But otherwise, love love love shopping with your company :)

This is a wonderful outlet to shop...
July 10th, 2021
• Previous review

This is a wonderful outlet to shop... love the great selection, the easy ordering process, the reward system, and the quick, careful, and efficient delivery! I am delighted to have 'discovered' Book Outlet! Thank you so so much :)

kristinag147
April 3rd, 2022
Verified site experience
• Updated review

I love Book outlet! The selection of books is amazing! Thanks to BO, we discovered so many new authors and titles that you wont find in local book stores or library! We have been supporting Book Outlet for over 4 years and it has been a life saver since covid hit 2 years ago. Reading to my kids has become the most beautiful tradition and even though kids are 13 and 15, this is the great bonding moment.

Great selection of books!
March 27th, 2022
• Previous review
Great selection of books! This website is so easy to...
January 17th, 2022
• Previous review

Great selection of books! This website is so easy to navigate!

Lots of great books at affordable price!
August 5th, 2021
ellaw95
August 6th, 2021

I ordered four books for only about thirty dollars, and it took around a week to arrive at my house. The books were all in great condition; only one book had a bit of damage on the dust jacket, which I had expected since they were bargain book copies. Overall, I am very pleased with the price of the books as well as the quality. I would definitely recommend this site for book shopping.

Reason I chose this business:

I saw many TikToks where people purchased books from Book Outlet and gave good reviews.

robertc4341
July 29th, 2021
• Updated review

Pain-free and easy-to-use! Good description of Marianne Moore book. Unfortunately, you haven't got Experimental Landscapes by Ann BLOCKLEY. It's a fabulous resource book for landscape painters. Please advise me if you get it. Thank you!

It was fantastic. Delivery was very fast. Prices excellent. Merchandise A-1. I will order again.

Reason I chose this business:

Prices were more than competitive and selection of titles very good.

Pain-free and easy-to-use!
June 24th, 2021

rh701
April 28th, 2022

Book outlet is one of those things that seems to good to be true, but it's actually not. I've placed 3 orders at this site and bought many hundreds of dollars worth of books for maybe $100 at most. Most of the books are basically in the same condition that you would get if you ordered it new from amazon, except sometimes with a few black marks on the edge. The deals are honestly amazing and i can't believe so few people seem to know about this hidden gem of a website

samanthay66
June 30th, 2021

Love ordering from the book outlet. They also have a local store (which I highly recommend) my only complaint would be not having full series in stock.

claudeena
April 1st, 2021
Verified site experience

Each order has a book or 2 that is totally unreadable (pages blurred, book upside down in binding. Hard to return or exchange. I am not very tech savvy and I don't know how to send pictures to show damage. For example, Design Sponge by Grace Bonney which I bought as a coffee table book came damaged as if it was dropped on all the corners. You can see the cardboard of the cover. Obviously I can, t use this as a coffee table book. I have to buy it again. Also sometimes tickets just get deleted without a response.

* Book Outlet attempted to help this customer through the Sitejabber Resolution Center, but the customer did not respond

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Book Outlet staff and other customers.

Book Outlet’s core purpose is Enchanting the Mind - one book at a time! We're passionate about making reading affordable and are happy to offer a large selection of new bargain books for up to 90% off the original list price -- along with the availability of free standard shipping on orders within the US and Canada.

Our parent company has been recognized for overall business performance and sustained growth with the prestigious Canada’s Best Managed Companies designation in 2021.

Business History

The roots of Book Outlet go back to the year 1985 and the entrepreneurial vision of John Hultink, our company’s founder.

John is one of five brothers who, together with his parents, immigrated to Canada from the Netherlands shortly after World War II, seeking a better life across the Atlantic. Like many immigrant families, those early years were not easy but that struggle had a pivotal influence on the roots of our company.

John’s passion for books and his entrepreneurial drive began well before 1985, going back to the early 1970s when he founded a small publishing company that translated Dutch books into English. These books appealed to many immigrant families across Canada who wanted their children to have the same experiences they had grown to know and love as children.

After witnessing the impact that books had in the lives of immigrant families, John was determined to make books accessible to all families across the globe by offering them at affordable prices - and that was the beginning of Book Outlet!

Since 1997, Book Outlet has evolved both as a business and a brand. Our community of bargain book lovers continues to grow daily and we have a tireless desire to dream big, innovate and provide our customers with the best possible experience.

We recognize that as a company, we are only as good as our people. That is why it has been a goal of ours to build a company culture that fuels curiosity, creativity and sustainable growth. In 2021, we were recognized for overall business performance and sustained growth with the prestigious Canada’s Best Managed Companies designation.

booko
Jennifer B.
Book Outlet Customer Experience
Typically does not respond to reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Book Outlet?

Have a question about Book Outlet?