HomeStars.ca

HomeStars.ca has a consumer rating of 2.61 stars from 164 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about HomeStars.ca most frequently mention bottom line, credit card and customer service problems.HomeStars.ca ranks 8th among Contractors sites.

This company does not typically respond to reviews

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 16.1%

• Convertible Heating & Air Conditioning installed our new furnace recently.

• The more a company pays them, the better their reviews.
  • They say I need more reviews coming in, and things will pick up.
How would you rate HomeStars.ca?

“MG Fencing”

MARK C.
5/20/22

Just got new fences installed in my backyard by a company called MG Fence. Amazing job, quality materials. Attention to detail and a very competitive price. My neighbours were somewhat reluctant to proceed with the project but were so happy with the end result. I thoroughly recommend this company if you want to put value on your property. Call Dino for a quote!

“Throw you money away and feel stress while doing it”

Charles S.
4/2/22

Bad business. HomeStars employ predatory sales people who place a lot of sugar on top of a rotten dinner you will be forced to eat until you can get out of that damn contract. RIght out of the gate, you will be placed on a hamster wheel where it is entirely up to YOU to make your monthly payments work for you. If you do not have positive reviews coming in on a monthly basis then you are sent to the oblivion section where your company just looks... really bad and you continue to pay for it all the while. Companies that have contracts lasting more than 30 days (mine take 6 months to a year) you are kind of screwed because if you don't have a "new customer" review come next month, your profile (and reviews) are dropped to the basement and there you stay chained to the dark damp wall with your lighter. Your assigned 'account Manager' (who changes without notice) has no power and must refer any request to the head office sales team who are a bunch of thugs. Account manager seems to act more like a buffer, the first of two or three locked doors you must knock upon before arriving at some watered down reply. You will NOT get out of your contract without paying for it dearly. By the way, they will not allow you to delete your company from their data base and they monitor and block you from making any changes to your company profile so... talk about big daddy watching. Another curios thing is HomeStars does not allow for any reviews on or off its website; did you notice that? Also, not a member of the BBB, why is that you think? Probably because of the ton of complaints they would have to deal with. I paid I think around $6000 to get out after 8 months (with penalties) and literally threw that money away for absolutely nothing. They are a very bad company and highly recommend staying away or you will pay the cost. I have included one of many invoices which does not reflect the true cost. I wish I could download the phone conversations but my experience is accurate and absolutely horrible. To this day even though I have nothing to do with HomeStars, my company is glued to their data base with HomeStars refusing to remove it which makes no sense except they want to look bigger than they are

company (44) reviews (39) work (40) 10 score (4) convertible heating (4) customer service (4) job (36) 2 years (3) bottom line (3) problem (8)
charless571
April 2nd, 2022

kylec699
February 26th, 2022

Emailed them saying I moved in the spring and call them often about canceling no one answers the phone either. Homestars is a subscription based platform with no clients and no staff but they charge you monthly to advertise once a year. Do not get involved in this scam you premote them and they charge you $500+ a month non-sence

do not use this site only sales staff no guarantees no customers

wesleyf125
January 27th, 2022

Businesses beware of this service! You pay them a fee and they put you up n there site… if you have a disagreement with a customer and they post a bad review even if it embellished as long as the customer has proof they communicated with you they will not remove the review! So your screwed!
Trust me your better of your have people review on your Facebook page or Instagram!
You've been warned!

markc3345
May 20th, 2022

jjj83
March 14th, 2022

Beware: They have absolutely no building skills, no trade licences, are drug users, cons. Reviews are all posted by the owner, family, other cons. Notice there are no no poor reviews. Saw Contractors on homestars, hire outsiders to fix there own homes.

joanneg305
May 20th, 2021

We have an agreement with Reliance Home Comfort Protection Plan 24-hour since 2007. They are committed to providing outstanding furnace heating and cooling, repair and maintenance, Ecobee smart thermostat wiring furnace, and a hot water tank service. Their goal is the same as ours: to get the heat or cooling turned back on fast. First I talked to a very knowledgeable representative at Ecobee, similar to the Nest thermostat. The problem. We could not get the fan started without having the heat on. We had a missing wire going from the furnace to the thermostat upstairs. I immediately booked my appointment with Reliance under my home comfort protection plan to do a scheduled repair the next day. Resolution completed. John from Reliance was very knowledgeable and removed the fast-stat and installed a new 5 wire from the smart Ecobee thermostat upstairs to the furnace in the basement. He did not hesitate to call a co-worker to discuss the diagram of the Ecobee smart thermostat which I like to see because it tells me that the rep cares to fix the problem. He diligently disconnected the thermostat, removed the baseboard in the dining room to create hidden access to run the new wire from the main floor to the furnace in the utility basement. He did a clean job! So nothing a little silicone on the trim can't fix. The fan is now running and we programmed it for 30 minutes an hour. I'm 100% satisfied with the service they provided. Thank you, John!

Get the home protection plan and pay for what service you need. Heating/Air conditioning/Hot Water/Plumbing/Water Purification/Electrical/ Smart Home. This way you get the rental protection program price.

Reliance Home Protection Plan

benr614
January 30th, 2022

I was told that key words were being put in place to help potential clients find my business. The guy called me from his own cell phone so none of the calls were recorded and conveniently i hadn't a leg to stand on when it came to making a case... As a contractor i would strongly advise againsst dealing with this company and be very careful with how they deal with you through the process- make sure they call from a legitimate phone number so your calls can be reviewed when things go south... I have dealt with yellow pages and now homestars - both have lied through their teeth and taken 100's of dollars a month and the return was pitiful...

garym1822
May 10th, 2022

They charge alot of money for doing nothing to help your business. They give you fake leads as no body responds to your messages. You don't make even a 25% to pay for this bull$#*! app.

Don't use homestars ever they are full of $#*!.

jd980
April 22nd, 2022

Any contractor you see connected to homestars is a big scam in TOronto, an Canada. There 5 star reviews are all 100% fakereviews written by con friends, family members. To scam you and me, using false names, all 100% lies. Note: There are never bad reviews. Bad reviews are deleted. Home star contractors (drunks, drug addicts) have never built, fixed anything, no trade licences, no schooling. Most cons lost there jobs during recession. These scammers only use outside 'underworld' plumbers, electricians, carpenters, roofers, to fix there homes. Most are organized gangs-italians, russians, french. Who work for cash. There national t. V. ads are there to con the consumers.

Beware: all fake reviews.

chrisp1799
April 30th, 2022

While working next door, I asked him to cut a baseboard and he did it for me FOR FREE! What real honest man. Chris

charlesw1479
January 7th, 2022

Signed up for Homestars after the rep said I should expect 1-3 leads a day and that there were over 2700 leads in 2020, most of them going unanswered. I jumped through all the hoops and got a 90% rating. I paid $200 a month for 5 months and only got 7 leads, none of which even turned into jobs. I brought this up with my rep and they just pointed out that they don't guarantee leads and that I agreed to a year term... total garbage! I do lots of online marketing and this has been one of the worst ones yet.

jonl384
January 18th, 2022

Beware homestars is a big scam. It's where cons, scammers pay to advertise. They have no skills, no licences. They are salesman who lost there last jobs. Rich families will pay fee To ad with homestars. Even homestar contractors hire outsiders to have
There home repaired becuz they have no trade skills. Homestars will delete all bad reviews. Most company positive reviews are all fakes, Lies. Checkout the owners of homestars.
Homestars rip off the stupid customers.

Homestars stop deleting bad reviews. Homestars stop posting there fake, reviews
Done by themselves

rezas40
April 26th, 2022

This company is a scam it will make you sign a contract give you promises and they will never commit to their promises I signed a contract with them for 6 months and all the promises they gave me to improve my business they did not accomplish

georgel984
February 13th, 2022

Company has no values to trades, they just want your money and then leave you hanging dry do NOT use this company to find trades.

susanr2288
October 28th, 2021

Great company, on time and cost as quoted, very knowledgeable and professional people, I highly recommend them. They had to switch the door on the built-in Bosch fridge we got from CAS with it on the wrong side, among other issues. Elite is fantastic and were the bright light in the entire appliance buying fiasco we had been through with CAS. I highly recommend Elite Appliance Service without hesitation.

alanc494
January 15th, 2021

We got rid of this company a few years ago for having no accountability for reviews. Ever since we have received multiple calls from them to get back on board. We're not interested in a platform that has no accountability, and charges x4 to x5 times the competitions annual fees, we put in too much hard work in the field, we want to be represented correctly and accurately and heard as business owners when there are legitimate concerns"
I felt compelled to write this review after a very pushy phone call from one of the reps today.
#reviewing the reviewers

patrickp361
July 23rd, 2020

Hi, invoice # 73462 was much higher than expected. The call back was for a bbq issue, the service person Craig, did a furnace check (which had been done), a fireplace check and he replaced the BBQ outlet. I was told that I would be paying only for parts but was billed for all the above. We are not happy about the bill.

unsatisfiede1
February 18th, 2022

I have been an employee at HomeStars for nearly half a decade and the company is extremely poor with its internal functionality. For a company that claims to be a "startup" even after being in the business for more than a decade just to nullify their internal errors when it comes to constant delays with product launches and something as poor as paying their employees the right amount at the right time. Of the 24 pay periods in a year, at least 10 pay periods have errors in missing out partial payments to employees including base pay. It is impossible to run your personal expenses while working at Homestars at a deadline especially during these tough times as the paid amount is almost never equal to the accurate to be paid amount. TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE AS AN EMPLOYEE HERSELF!

catalinag24
January 27th, 2022

First of all, my advice is before signing a contract like with Homestars, always make sure to always look at the reviews because it's a company that promises leads/jobs, reviews, calls, messages but they do not comply with their word. Based on experience, I got out of the contract ASAP and spent almost $3000 and I did not receive a LEAD/JOB EVER. I basically gifted them $3K for nothing. I had to pay the cancellation fee. It was either being stuck paying them monthly for 1 year or paying a huge fine. Ridiculous. I preferred to pay the fine than to stay in the contract with them. They also kept persuading me to stay and keep paying. In the end, it was the best decision to terminate the contract. Homestars is a scam and it's not a serious company.

charlesf973
January 6th, 2022

I signed up with this platform a month ago, very very very poor customer service, when Ineed assistance there is never anyone available and all the leads they send me are not in the area I asked for.

Stay away they are just after your money

jakes461
October 6th, 2021

I thought when I started my own locksmith business that this would be a good way to drum up business as promised by sales Rep, which by the way are very pushy. I've maybe Recieved 6 leads in 6 months, I am now trying to cancel but I get the run around that either my representative is on holidays or they just never call me back. I feel like they just ignore my request so I keep paying the outrageous monthly bill. If you do manage to cancel you get charged 35 percent of what's left in contract. My advice would be to avoid this app. Like the plague. Not a good experience.

alexs1739
November 30th, 2021

When they are trying to sell their website subscription, they will promise 7 -15 leads a month. Also, they say that you will have an account support specialist which will only contact you when you are late with payments. Also, it's worth mentioning that they will lock you in the contract for one year, and you stuck with them for at least 1 year. In the real world, you will receive 1 or two complete garbage leads which or waste your time or you will not make any money on it.

marilync484
January 1st, 2022

I used Homestars to connect with a company called Maderaworx. I had nothing but problems with this company. It started with a 22 inch shower and ended with no safety bar and no sliding bar just to make the shower 26 inches. When I tried to review Maderaworx, I was unable to do a review in the Homestars page because my review was too negative. Homestars only let's you post factual information no negative. How can you give an honest review if you had a negative experience? Homestars sucks. Do not believe any of the reviews. Some of the companies have been in business for 20 plus years and only a handful of reviewers. I will never take a recommendation from homestars ever again and I will never deal with Maderaworx either.

That only the good reviews were kept.

danielh1768
August 4th, 2021

When i first started my electrical business i thought it would be a good idea to sign up with homestars. The sales person promised that i would be getting all sorts of work through them and that there was no end to the amount of work they had in the calgary area. Im about 6 months in and i have come to the conclusion that that was all a lie. I probably get 1 lead a month off them and its usually for something really small. I didnt think i was going to have to depend on home stars for work or anything but they are not delivering on what they promised. Avoid this company like the plague!

dont

donk248
August 15th, 2020

I have been reading Homestar's reviews on various services for years prior to hiring anyone and have come to the conclusion that they mostly only print positive reviews and ignore the negative ones as they accept payment from these suppliers. Hired a roofing contractor a few years back which had 100% positive reviews on Homestar. Ended with a disaster installation. Seemed that other contractors I had hired were very well aware of the dismal reputation that the roofing contractor had within the construction trades. Recently placed a negative review regarding a kitchen refinishing company which only stated facts. Was not printed.

How is it that I stop getting leads and my payment still goes through, and I show prove of work and the bad review is still on

By Luis f.

As a client of a contractor who has been on the listing for four years, I was very pleased with their work. I personally believe that a listed Contractor should be listed for at least a year to see if he/she survives The scrutiny of the public before I hire them. Sorry to hear that you were defrauded 1500. 00 by Hawthorne Kitchen Design, I don't know of them, but thanks for the warning.

By heath s.
Question:

Hi support

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the HomeStars.ca staff and other customers.

With over 146 home improvement service categories in Canada, you can connect with a reputable home professional that will get the job done on HomeStars.

lesliea18
Leslie A.
Typically does not respond to reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeStars.ca?

See reviews as you browse with our Firefox extension

2.6
Have a question about HomeStars.ca?