Kijiji

Reviews.io

Kijiji has a consumer rating of 1.3 stars from 320 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Kijiji most frequently mention customer service, live chat and post ads problems.Kijiji ranks 110th among Classifieds sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 4.3%

No positive highlights yet

• So I asked the customer service, what was wrong with my ad.
  • Kijiji decided to add a review system due to high demand.
How would you rate Kijiji?

“Selling is EASY”

LARRY D.
3/26/22

I have been a seller on Kijiji for over a year now. I have 29 five star reviews. All of my buyers have given me a 5 star review. My prices are reasonable and putting ads is quite easy. The only complaint I have are potential buyers who ask about something and you never hear from them again. That is not a fault of th4e Kijiji system, just the users. I never pay for any upgrades so the free adds and no comissions is a great way for me to do business.

“Can't post after being with kijiji for years”

John W.
11/13/20

I don't know what going on with this company. From scammers calling me to not being able to post. Try reaching them... it's impossible. Only once did i manage to text them and was cut off twice. You can't even delete your account only change your email. This is a scam site. Report to Apple or wherever you get there app from. BEWARE. Something fishy is going in

customer service (18) review system (10)
ivym84
May 23rd, 2022

I have been trying to post ads onto the site. They get listed momentarily and then disappear. This is regardless of whether you have made payment or not. If you are able to reach someone on customer care through chat, they are always unwilling to engage. They dismiss you so quick and ask you to join another platform. Please note I made sure I followed all the guidelines when posting my ads. Kijiji is a online ads place where people are allowed to post their products for sale.

deang187
March 10th, 2022

The search grid is so outdated, takes years to scroll down a single line of horsemanure ads to find anything decent. Scammers everywhere, they are not even good at it. Then the reply "Kijijidiots" that troll, lowball and generally waste your time. The vintage car WANTED ADS that are just scammers trying to ripoff a old person of their car. The site needs a complete redesign for the last 10 years. You should be able to search "2 by 2" or more ads per space instead of the tiresome "single line scrolldown"

eckos
March 14th, 2022

It used to be the go to to buy/sell used items, but now it's a real Joke. Searching for items has become more and more difficult since they just give you 4-5 legit search result and the rest is Ads from paid business like wayfair.ca (which is just a company that drop-ship cheap items from alibaba at high price).

Selling or offering service is a joke too, any excuse is good to delete your ads unless you pay. And anyway there traffic stats don't lie, they are dying slowly... At this point in time, just use Facebook Marketplace, you'll save yourself trouble...

laineyg
March 7th, 2022

I went forgot password and it said "requires 400 numbers, 5 hieroglyphics, 13 special symbols, 3.5 uppercase characters, and a picture of a duck" so I enter a password that works and what do you know, IT WAS THE PASSWORD I HAD USED BEFORE. 0 stars, fire the whole IT team. If you're going to have absurd password requirements then maybe tell people to remind them so they don't have to reset their password every time they log in.

larryd585
March 26th, 2022

stefanm126
March 28th, 2022

I had someone contact me on Kijiji yesterday about a seeing machine ad. We exchanged messages 7 times in total. But 4 days ago 160 tracking attempts by 6 companies were blocked in my Kijiji app by Duckduckgo. I can't remember using my Kijiji app 4 days ago except to repost an add that was about to expire and Kijiji wouldn't repost it for me.

Used content

nancyr156
February 19th, 2018

Kijiji is not the issue i love it, but the people that buy need to do learn how it work. Like i sold a womens winter jacket to a man for is wife, i come without is wife to buy the jacket then 2 hours later i call me back to get is money back because it to small for is wife. Now is pis that i wont take it back. It not my responsibility to make sure it the good size for her. When you by use clothes from a privates u better make sure it goin to fit, if it doesn't it not the seller faults and as soon as you live whit what you buy it yours.

johnt1881
April 15th, 2022

I was disallowed to post any further ad according to Kijiji that I violated Kijiji policy. Which is fair if I really was in violation. Upon several request through Kijiji help/customer service to provide more detail as in what did I posted was in violation and never did get any detail from them. It can be a case that my account was hacked and ad was posted in violation or I did posted something in violation. But I should be given the detail and not out right banned from posting without further explanation other than claiming that I violated their policy. Such a joke for acting like a dictator.

arlenel126
May 27th, 2022

They do not enforce any of the rules for pet salesReported ads are left upThey did enforce 2yrs ago!

Don't expect customer service to enforce any rules that kijiji has. They probably won't even answer you.

I actually have used kijiji for over 6 years. They have deleted ads that I have reported in the puppies for rehoming section. The rules clearly state that you can only sell local and multiple ads for the same litter can not be put up. Certain things like "tail docking" or declawing, delivery out of area are absolutely not allowed. I have been reporting ads for years. The past year it has been very hard to get any results of any kind from the flag-report button on the specific ad and I've emailed customer service as well. They did reply before but I'm getting nothing from them now. I pay to advertise and follow the rules but there's too many puppy mills that are exploiting the pandemic and it's been here for 2 1/2 years already.

ds504
June 29th, 2019

KIjiji allows scammers to stay and rip people off. I was ripped off by a used car dealer in Tecumseh Ontario by the name of Mak Auto sales back in 2017. No more cars for me now because I drive an electric bicycle. Too many scammers online now so I don't see how people will be buying much from this website anymore.

guys55
June 12th, 2018

Today I went there to hire a tradesman. When he phoned back, he gave me his price. He showed up within a reasonable time of when he said he would. He completed the job for the price, and departed. Nothing wrong with Kijiji if you deal with an honest seller.

chrisl1526
October 2nd, 2021

Tried posting an apartment for rent, selecting "free post" my ad was blocked and i got email from support team saying "go post somewhere else".
Good way to turn away potential customers.

johnr2662
August 19th, 2020

Do not use do not use waste of time do not use do not use. No support waste of time. It used to be a pleasure to use.

stephend215
September 30th, 2018

Kijiji used to be a place you could go to find people who had something surplus to sell. Now it is page after page of full-priced retailers selling new stuff. You have to wade through pages of "flyer-type" ads which just are trying to drag you into their store. Wasting lots of time.
I still post for selling but it takes a long time to find your own ad for checking purposes because of all the retail ads.

christinec1968
January 26th, 2022

I no longer use kijiji because it; s nothing but ads now. The Ads block the whole page so you can't see anything else. I tried looking for a bathtub and instead found over 300 ads for retailers?

paulc1373
January 24th, 2021

Coast to coast Kijiji couldn't score a 5 star review in the last year, these are the people that expect you to maintain a 95% feedback on ebay while they throw nothing but scammers and cheapskates your way. Kijiji is pure garbage with harmful web technologies. The employees and company are trash, the users are mostly idiots and the scammers are dirtbags from overseas. That makes up kijiji in a nutshell. Kijji is designed for exploiting end users for the data and if you're stupid for ad fees. The automated buttons are used by scammers and shady companies to collect data, thanks to the idiots at kjijii, a scammer needs little work to click the buttons and start collecting data with bots. Ebay and kijiji love this so much as its their traffic generator, you must at least come back and log in to reply to tell them off or you suffer a big hit in your rating for not accepting scams, that is why they forced the reply rate feature on you, without it the scammers and tracking from kijiji would never work because nobody replies to third world scammers. Like I said, scum company and just like at ebay they make it impossible to contact them after they implement these anti-user / pro scammer features. Co-incedence?

annap318
December 4th, 2019

#1: Site used to be full of legitimate buyers... now its a ghost town
#2: Search results are polluted with non-relevant ads from dealers
#3: Site has tanked since Ebay took over.

oingob
January 8th, 2020

Kijiji used to be a site where people made respectful, informal transactions of reasonably priced household items they no longer needed to recover a bit of the cost. Now it is commercialized and overrun with businesses that have duplicate and "no longer relevant" (which is Kijiji's way of saying not available) ads that bury your listing(s) in some categories within minutes. Many of them misrepresent themselves as "owners" which is Kijiji's way of describing a non- business private seller and list services in product categories. Some are unlicensed, uninsured, uncertified, unscrupulous etc. Some are avoiding taxes while on social assistance. Many are both. Compounding this is Kijiji's persistent attempts to get you to pay for the privilege of temporarily moving your ad to the top of the pile and to get you to click on paid ads that are constantly scrolling the screen (mobile app) so that you wind up selecting one of them by accident. I find it laughable that anybody would pay for ad "upgrades" unless they drastically improved the quality of the ads and user behavior. Reposting ads puts them at the top of the 'most recent" default search sort which is what your search annoying keeps reverting to when you change anything in it. Thousands of ads are uploaded via automated processes such as scripts typically on Friday evenings which can prevent you from uploading your ad(s). Since my ads contain a bit more than the ubiquitous one picture three words ads they are not as easy to repost. Kijiji rarely if ever deletes duplicate, expired, miscategorized or bogus ads despite assurances. They will however delete your ad quickly without even contacting you and for unfounded reasons. I found this out when I posted a polar bear stuffed animal replete with make and model number, materials tag and measurements. I presume (since they never explained how it came to be) that one of their automated processes flagged and deleted my ad based on a keyword or user decided that my ad was selling an item prohibited under the non-specific Illegal or Unauthorized Wildlife Products section of their policy despite the fact that it clearly was not made of such nor is Polar Bear skin banned (it is controlled) and reported it and an employee who was unable to comprehend (ESL?) what the ad was selling. For a laugh check for Polar Bear rug and you will find many of them for sale so I am not sure how they decided that a stuffed animal was prohibited but not rugs made from real polar bear parts. It took two appeals to find someone at Kijiji that had elementary school level comprehension to listen to my request to read the ad and look at the pictures and see that it was not a prohibited item and repost it. I took the ad down anyways as there was no assurance of more of the same. As a test I posted a warning type of ad which people sometimes post to let people know about a scammer and had it taken down very quickly,. They don't want it known that they are a scammer's paradise. They no longer allow ticket resales due to their ineffectiveness and unwillingness to work with LE to act on specific scammers. This helps ticket selling companies gouge purchasers by getting paid multiple commissions and
Usurious "service fees" on the resale of the same tickets. Some ticketing agencies ban resales of many events limiting your option to even cover your costs if you can't attend. I have reported thousands of ads based on their policy and have yet to see them act. I assume that they loathe me for ensuring there is no way they can honestly have any statistics that say they are managing their content or users effectively from a customer perspective anyways. They also have numerous ads for prohibited items such as recalled products, counterfeit items, false locations, stolen items such as tools and bicycles which they don't require the serial number which would greatly lower the value of them to thieves and fences. I rarely buy as most ads lack accurate, relevant and or verifiable content and I don't have time to waste asking for information and or pictures about items that should have had it in the first place or waiting to see if I get a reply and if it is of any use. Most of the time I find the item is " not as described" with damage (typically hidden and or undisclosed), older snd more worn, lower quality, soiled, incomplete. Kijiji allows ads which lack specifics such as tire and wheel specifics that are not really optional unless you are intending to use them for something other than their intended purpose. Despite the numerous problems I do manage to sell my items as I don't really have an alternative platform that allows me to remain anonymous which I insist on for safety and sanity. I have been purging for years and have hundreds of transactions which take anywhere from 10-20 contacts per item before a suitable buyer is found and 5-30 message to get them to read the ad and show up to the meeting place. They typically start a conversation with the Kijiji provided nuisance message "Hi, is this still available?" I understand many sellers don't take down their ads and Kijiji doesn't remove them even when the seller states the item is sold and it is reported but one should assume the item is available. Illiterates and Non national language speakers really appreciate the canned messages. The new owners (eBay) have introduced statistics such as a response time and a rating system misnomered as review (stars only) These both lack protections from abuse so losers that have nothing better to do than message you when you are unavailable such as at 2AM which will lower your response time rating if you don't reply promptly. Kijiji doesn't allow you to review someone unless you mark the item as sold and indicate the buyer. Then the buyer must respond positively to Kijiji's question did they buy the item and complete the review. This assumes that the system is working which many times it's not.
This their third attempt at trying to get a useful rating system and a failure again because it allows abuse. Anybody can message you on any and every listing and you can indicate you sold the item to them and you can give each other glowing ratings which most people never look at the details. Creating additional is easy and allows separate seller and buyer accounts despite it being prohibited. I found out that Kijiji doesn't enforce the multiple account policy after having aggressive hagglers that were blocked return under a different acct. Some commercial sellers such as tire dealers use this to get around the limits on the number of free listings in certain categories to avoid paying for a business acct. Sellers are not able to limit messages to distance range so rest assured you will get the inevitable message "Where are you located" and do you ever come to...? Despite the advice you don't being in the ad. Typically this will occur after the inquirer has been asking you other superfluous questions trying to hook you. Better yet they will ask if you can deliver, ship or meet them somewhere close to them. I could go on for pages about the illiterate, ridiculous, sociopathic, dishonest, disrespectful and uncivilized people that I have dealt with that have given me an insight to the type of people I'm surrounded by but it's a bit off topic.

P.S. The image is a 17' wheel that Julie thinks is 18" because the face is about 17.5" Sadly not shown in the capture

Proceed with caution

Free listing service

mikew278
October 26th, 2017

Bought wisnter tires off kijiji called road cruza. Great price and amazing service they were very quick to meet me and super nice. I'd recommend them to anyone who is looking for winter Tires at a good price and good quality

brentr67
December 26th, 2019

Kijiji used to be a great site to do business. Now it's mostly dealers and advertising. Nobody goes to Kijiji to buy from a dealer. Kijiji now sucks. I'm looking for an alternative.

anni10
November 14th, 2018
• Updated review

Kijiji used to be Canadian website a place you could go to find people who had something want to sell locally you can pick it up or even use shipping but now have advertising for Chinese seller.
This service since eBay has taken over has gone nowhere but down. We want our old website back.

Kijiji is now very bad
May 11th, 2018
• Previous review

What happened? I used Kijiji all the time now is bad as eBay.
This service since eBay has taken over has gone nowhere but down.
They got too big to give a damn about their customers
Horrible search options, Pleas give us our old Kijiji back.
Too many advertisers.
Stop placing ads on Kijiji and go to Craigslist.

fuckk2
January 9th, 2021

Its not an exaggeration to say that I HATE Facebook... its even less of an exaggeration to say that my hatred of Kijiji has grown 1000 fold over the last 3 years. Okay... hyperbole aside, as of Jan 2021, in all honesty, I pains me to have to admit that my ads on FB marketplace now get 20 times more responses then my ads on Kijiji. Kijiji has become the new Craigslist... a dead marketplace where no one goes.

Bottom line... As of Jan 2021... FB Marketplace sells my stuff... Kijiji does not.

phuc Kijiji

phuc Kijiji

ashleyw701
June 8th, 2021

Someone is posting ads on Kijiji for expensive video game equipment and sending people to my home. They ask the buyer to e-transfer them money for the video game items. Of course, it is a scam. But when I contacted Kijiji by email to alert them to this scam - and to the fact that I am concerned because random people are being sent to my home - they didn't offer any help.

BUT, when I created a Kijiji ad to WARN people about the scam - they refused to post my warning. Absolutely sick.

I would NOT recommend Kijiji.

Beware of scammers

mw387
January 25th, 2020

What is wrong with these idiots. For years new every software change just makes it worse, their cllck fraud paid ad thing, getting rid of html editing, capping the number ads (I'm an individual selling used stuff, not a business) and so on. It was such a good system, Its like they; ve got a bunch of programmers and have to dream up $$#*! up for them to do. Meanwhile they make it impossible to talk to them to express the concerns. What sort of business tries to isolate itself from its customers? One that's not going to last.

ayeshan13
November 6th, 2021

Kijiji.ca has almost every fraudster on red alert by consumer forum Alberta operating to cheat and scam the public including other businesses who have fallen victim to such fraud. A stalker cyberstalking and actually stalking me called me several times but when this was reported to Kijiji.ca, they didn't take any action. This site is unsafe as Kijiji.ca operates only from a profit motive, is unscrupulous and unsafe to use. All the attached fraudsters flagged on red Alberta wide alert have been aided by Kijiji.ca to scam Albertans and Canadians in general.

Beware of the kijiji site as they are unethical. Will do anything if bribed by unscrupulous people.

Renovation and repairs, furniture, books

When American companies take over they ruin everything!

By Lois W.
See more answers (2)

Internet vendors have no interest in people who can't afford to have a cellphone or connect over a personal IP address. Poverty sucks - you'd better get used to it. Only the govt can change change that, but don't hold your breath.

By Guy S.
See more answers (2)

Unfortunately, I don't think Kijiji has an option to delete your account. But you have an option to change the email address attached to your account.

By Ivy M.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Kijiji staff and other customers.

Visit Kijiji Classifieds to buy, sell, or trade almost anything! New and used items, cars, real estate, jobs, services, vacation rentals and more virtually anywhere in Canada.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kijiji?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

1.3
Have a question about Kijiji?