NationwideHireUK.co.uk

4 / 5
Reviews.io

NationwideHireUK.co.uk has a consumer rating of 2.37 stars from 201 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about NationwideHireUK.co.uk most frequently mention customer service, credit card and next day problems. NationwideHireUK.co.uk ranks 112th among Car Rental sites.

No positive highlights yet

• The person who takes your money is excellent, the customer service agents who deal with the dispute are dreadful.
How would you rate NationwideHireUK.co.uk?

“Great Service”

Helen V.
2/1/20

Booked via phone. Kate was a massive help, whole transaction went smoothly, Van delivered at time promise and was better than expected. Great service

“DON'T HIRE FROM THEM”

Chris R.
10/25/21

DON'T USE THIS COMPANY! I hired a mini bus which was delivered late and in a filthy condition inside and out. I paid £35 to have it cleaned before I could use it. The bus had a faulty handbrake, 2 seats in the rear were not fixed at all, the heater fan speed didn't work properly, it looked and smelled like a building site crew bus. They do not reply to any communication after you have paid. AVOID THIS COMPANY

customer service (33)
ricardoc265
December 18th, 2021

Highly unprofessional customer service who while has taken my "booking" has indicated that he won't be able to "confirm" the van. Furthermore, as part of the booking he has charged my credit card, and will charge a cancellation fee of £ 42. Because they cannot do they work correct. The next day i hired from another company without any issues. This company is a SCAM. DONT USE THEM.

chrisr1513

DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!
They do not reply to any communication after you have paid.
AVOID THIS COMPANY

clareg46
August 22nd, 2020

Horrendous! Do not use this company, spent hours Sending them all the proofs needed for them to ring us on the morning of our move 35 mins before the van was due to be here to say the vehicle has been damaged and now was unavailable for hire, no other vehicle offered, no compensation and left us with a house packed and ready to move and having to find another van in 40 mins! Terrible and very expensive! Don't use unless you want to be let down!

peterw809
November 18th, 2020

Possibly the worst vehicle hire…
Possibly the worst vehicle hire experience in 30 years of hiring. The booking process was smooth & great customer service from all we dealt with but that's where it ended. The van was 3 hours late being delivered & required multiple calls to find out what was going on. Once delivered it had a tank gauge showing empty, no SatNav (as booked & paid for), the hand brake alarm sounded intermittently throughout driving & a hole in the roof meant that much of our cargo was wet & some was damaged beyond further use. We wrote four times to Nationwide Hire asking them to contact us to discuss our complaint but they have not responded in over a month & a half. We are now contacting Trading Standards as the Company seems unwilling to answer our complaint. We would not hire from them again, nor recommend them, based mainly on their lack of after sales service & no response to our correspondence.

nelsonh44
March 20th, 2020

30 minutes before the 9 seater automatic transmission minibus was to be delivered I was notified that they would be delivering a manual transmission. I paid quite a bit extra to be assured of getting an automatic as driving in London is difficult enough without dealing with a clutch. The van was delivered on time and everything was great except the stress of driving a manual around London. I have no issues except that when I contacted Nationwide they refused to refund the difference in price between the higher priced automatic that I paid for and the manual that they delivered. If you go on their site today, the price difference is 70 pounds, and the price difference was higher during the holidays. Their reluctance to refund the difference is really ruining an otherwise good experience. I never write reviews but this is ridiculous. Give me my refund!

helenv78
February 1st, 2020

Great service

fionab81
September 7th, 2020

Booked large van. Due at 8.30am. 10.00 no show. Constantly had to call them to find out was going on. Each phone call no one didnt know what I was talking about. 5 hrs later enterprise delivered an ordinary transit van. Not what was ordered. Cost as £431.00. Train tickets had to be altered. I had to take an extra day off work as a carer for elderly as wasnt back in time which I dont get paid for. Then got charged £40 worth of fuel. 3/4 of tank was given. 1/2 tank it went back with. No way £40 of fuel.

trevorp64
July 5th, 2020

Van was eventually delivered 4.5 hours after the initially agreed time. This meant delaying my 400 mile planned journey until the next day. Van had a number of damaged areas including important lighting that could no longer function and broken radio which meant no traffic reports being available. Cab and load area were filthy, clearly no cleaning had been done between hires, very concerning from a COVID-19 perspective. What made the situation even worse was the complete lack of support from the customer support desks of both Nationwide Hire UK and the van supplier Enterprise. No email or call back concerning the above issues.

ianb436
August 5th, 2020

Just tried to upgrade to a vehicle with aircon, presumably by paying more. The rude and dismissive guy just kept repeating "We cannot guarantee aircon in peak season" but refused to answer if they could guarantee it at a different time of year. Bizarre customer service

nigelw82
September 2nd, 2021

Be aware, if you are thinking of hiring a vehicle from Nationwide Hire (NWH) as they sub-contract their vehicles from smaller independents and it would seem that they have little or no quality control over the vehicles. I hired a 2017 registered Luton Box van to move house and whilst travelling at 60 miles an hour on a dual carriageway, fully loaded a tyre suddenly went completely flat. It turned out that the tyre was 2 years older than the van and had 2 previous puncture repairs which had failed and burst the steel wires inside the tyre. This could have caused a serious accident or worse! NWH have repeated ignored my correspondence to claim back the £165 it cost to have the wheel changed and tyre replaced. The tyre should never have been on the van and was clearly an end of life tyre. NWH's customer service is non existent and since then we have hired 2 more vehicles from Sixt and their vans were brand new and customer service was excellent. I would not recommend hiring a vehicle from Nationwide Hire.

stevenl1065
June 10th, 2021

Avoid avoid avoid scam company!)
(Avoid avoid avoid scam company!)

This outfit are absolute deceivers Cowboys and will steal your money!

This is the experience I had last week,

A guy turns up an hour late in an extremely dirty van hasn't been washed in ages obviously this is part of the scam because it's harder to see scratches.

Next thing is I am asking for paperwork he tells me there's loads of paperwork which is also a Lie!

He walks round the vehicle takes a couple of pictures hands me he's rubbish little android phone to sign I ask him where the paperwork is he says you will receive an email after you have signed it.

The next day a couple of guys turn up about three hours late to collect the vehicle.

The guy walks around takes a couple of pictures well I'm busy doing something else,
He then has me hes Android phone to sign that I am happy I looked at everything on the phone there was nothing about damage or anything as soon as I sign with my finger he drives off very quickly then I receive an email to say there has been additional damaged picked up that was already on the vehicle!

So not only are the guys picking up and dropping the vehicle off liars and cheats probably on extra commission for doing this kind of Malarkey.

Done now trying to get me to pay for the damage of the vehicle side of stolen my £250 deposit and are now trying it on I'm willing to take legal action and go all the way I've got nothing to lose anymore.

Please read the reviews don't listen to the fake reviews this company is shady as hell!

adrianc145
April 7th, 2020

My son had contacted Nationwide Hire via online chat to enquire about the cost etc to hire a 7.5 ton wagon, with me driving. He dealt with Katie L during the chat. He then passed me the transcript so I could follow it up with a booking.

Phoned up and spoke to Katie who took me through the booking process, licence check, payment etc. Katie was very good throughout, answering any questions I had and explaining what would happen next. All very clear and simple. The lorry arrived a few days later, delivery driver took me through the vehicle checks with great attention to detail, also did I. All went well and the wagon was picked up the day after the hire had finished but no issues with that.

All in all a great service from start to finish. Thank you.

jh912
July 21st, 2020

This company is a disaster. What was meant to be a useful service to make moving house less stressful has lead to unbelievable amount of hassle and grief. Nationwide never came to pick up the van even though I called them multiple times a day. In the end I had to call the third party (whom were very helpful) and they came to pick it up. This company makes your life hell.

chrisk1331
March 11th, 2021

Twice we have been sold van (7.5T) hire from Nationwide in which they claim to be able to deliver a vehicle and once they have taken our money they then informed us that it was not possible to deliver and we would have to collect it from a far away location (1.5 hrs away) for no discount. The person who takes your money is excellent, the customer service agents who deal with the dispute are dreadful. Both times Nationwide's markup on the local garage who hired the vehicle was in excess of 100%. The second time we did not know we were dealing with Nationwide initally as they market under more than one name. Would never touch them again.

mehuld
June 13th, 2020

Highly unprofessional customer service who while has taken my "booking" has indicated that he won't be able to "confirm" the van. Furthermore, as part of the booking he has charged my credit card, and will charge a cancellation fee (good luck with that mate - American Express will come after you!).

annetteb240
September 19th, 2020

This company took payment for a van which never arrived and refused to give a refund. They required further details from us but did not let us know. Instead, they kept our money. Any attempt to reason with them was ignored by a person called Sophy who just said "no refund" and sent a screen shot of their cancellation policy. We did not cancel. They did not send the van which we were fully expecting to arrive. They took this payment from my 85 year old father.

Zero concern for providing the service that they were paid for, zero concern for good customer relations. I cannot sufficiently express how angry I am. Be very careful if you choose to use this company.

emilyh464
August 20th, 2020

I cannot even begin to fathom how this company operates, booking a vehicle a day in advance(yes I know, last minute much) to be delivered at 10:30am, still wondering where the vehicle is at 11:00am, decide to give them a call for them to tell me the vehicle has been damaged and is not longer available for hire. You would know this before this time it was suppose to be delivered, it is not hard to communicate to your customers. To top it off a refund will take 3-5 business days for an issue that was their fault. Unimpressed to say the least.

peterc865
October 7th, 2020

My advice is avoid like the plague. Hired a van and paid £419 only to be supplied with an inadequate sized vehicle from a different company, asked for my money back and got laughed at. Company of crooks and this is backed up by other reviews

safinaa1
October 15th, 2020

I would not recommend this company to anyone. With what started off as a very easy and smooth sailing has turned into an absolute nightmare. I hired a van from to drive back to Scotland. I have then been accused of damaging the van. I know with absolute fact that it was not me as I was very careful with the van. I disputed the case in May and heard nothing until July when they called be practically demanding i paid the amount. When i told them i couldnt afford it the advisor asked me to borrow or to put it on a credit card. I unwillingly paid a portion of the amount due to the threatening tone of the adviser. Followed up with an email asking of evidence of the amount before paying anymore. I have now received called again 3 months later asking for the remaining balance to be paid, albeit from a nicer advisor. There has been zero empathy from the company with respect to the situation. They have not acknowledged their part in this at all (failed to offer excess cover, the representative did not take me round the car). They have constantly called me out the clue demanding money with zero acknowledgement of my emails. If i had caused the damage, i would accept and settle the amounts. However, I refuse to pay for damage I have not caused, especially where there has been little consideration for my arguments and 0 sensitivity around handling the situation during these difficult times.

alkine
September 17th, 2021

On 14th September ‘21, I booked a long wheel base transit van with Nationwide for 8.30 am Mon 20th through to Friday 24th 8.30am. I explicitly explained where we were to Andrew who I spoke to on the phone and he assured me that this posed no issue for their vehicle delivery and collection service. Just a moment ago on the 17th September I was advised by a representative of said company that the van would not be available until 3.30pm on the 20th September rather than the requested 8.30am. Michelle Spears / Spiers who I spoke to was very rude when asked to explain this lack of service and miss-selling and said it was because we lived in a remote place… the point being that they knew where I lived when I made the booking in the first instance. She then proceeded to cancel my booking in an angry way and was not prepared to escalate my concerns with her senior management or discuss a resolution beyond ‘take it or leave it'. This has left me massively inconvenienced, out of pocket and very annoyed that they can treat customers this way and get away with such shoddy service. Avoid this company at all costs.

Avoid this company at all costs.

None.

trevorc85
January 7th, 2020

All in all good, having vehicle delivered & collected very useful, although was not collected at time arranged.
Katie organised arrangements easily and without issue.
Will need vans in future, so will use again.

pauld1944
October 25th, 2021

The day before my hire was due to commence, I was called by NationwideHireUK to say that my van had broken down but that they could provide me with a smaller van. I was also promised a refund for the price delta between the big Vs smaller van hire. Moving to a smaller van was a big issue for me, but I had no choice but to accept given the short notice.

But I never received the refund. I have tried to call them numerous times & nobody will help me. I raised a formal complaint case on their web site & have had no response whatsoever from that.

They don't care, & as far as I can tell, have no intention of giving me the refund they promised. It is very frustrating & unjust - that's why I've taken the time to write this review.

If something goes wrong, don't expect good customer service. I've seldom been treated so badly by a supplier.

The van provided was smaller than I ordered & I had insufficient time to make alternative arrangements, so had to take the smaller vehicle offered. That wasn't good, but my main issue is that they did not honour the refund I was promised due to the smaller van. I was promised a refund at the time when I was offered the smaller vehicle.

mrv52
October 25th, 2021

I beg you do not use nationwide hire, they will tell you everything is fine the done and the time it due they phone you and say that they do not have one and charge you extra £250, more for there fault because they have to use someone else avoid at all cost

sarab304
February 25th, 2020

Very quick response time and they always have availability of the type of vans we need and deliver to our offices, which being a small team, really makes our lives easy. Katie in particular has replied to email or action requests with amazing velocity and efficiency.
We are very happy with the service.

emilys458
January 8th, 2020

I tried to hire a large van from them in December 2019.
A few hours after I had initially enquired with them, they were still struggling to find me a van and hadn't confirmed my booking via email so I rang their customer service team and spoke to Andrew and asked him if there was any payment or penalty I would have to pay if I cancelled this enquiry and Andrew confirmed there was no payment or penalty I would have to pay as they hadn't confirmed the booking from their side and hadn't been able to find me a van as of yet.
£305.98 was then taken out of my account and when I then chased Nationwidehireuk to find out what had happened I had a very rude response from their 'Head of Customer Service' Marcelle saying that she doesn't know what a colleague of hers had told me but they will be charging me the full amount!
After a few back and forth emails I asked Marcelle to call me and she pretending to be too busy to return my call but got her colleague Nathalia to call me. Nathalia apologised and confirmed to me that as my booking hadn't been confirmed they will be issuing me a refund.
NationwidehireUK have still not issued me a refund and have ignored two official complaint letters I have taken the time to write into them. Their website states they will respond to complaints within seven days.

Don't use this dodgy, rude, dell boy company!

I am going to take this to trading standards

I have had dealings with Marcelle too. Refuses to answer emails and never returns calls - disgraceful

By David R.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the NationwideHireUK.co.uk staff and other customers.

Cars, Vans, Minibuses & Trucks

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NationwideHireUK.co.uk?

Have a question about NationwideHireUK.co.uk?