Apache OpenOffice

Apache OpenOffice has a consumer rating of 4.41 stars from 37 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with Apache OpenOffice most frequently mention best part and microsoft word.Apache OpenOffice ranks 4th among Open Source sites.

• The best part is that the software they offer is comparable to Microsoft Office.
  • It is totally free, you can use Microsoft word, excel, and powerpoint and it is totally compatible with other computers.

No critical highlights yet

How would you rate Apache OpenOffice?

“Open office”

mark b.
6/10/20

I've been using openoffice for a while now I'm a basic to medium user, but I have found it to be more than brilliant, it was my brother that recommended it to me, and it does everything I want, I've always felt why pay over the top for an office suite when you're not a massive user, and openoffice fits the bill. I wanted something that was free ideally, and I'm still finding things in there that are useful, all I can say is thank you very much it's a fantastic office suite, opens fast no lag or anything does what it says, can save files with ease, I can back them up to the cloud then reopen. I've manged some basic pdf editing too. I highly recommend this to any individual or businesses.

“Pretty awful”

Mark C.
10/20/20

Had OO 4. 0. 1. Tried to paste a cut out from an email. Crashed. Ok, I should upgrade. Select check for updates from the menu, it can't contact the server. So I uninstall, and download the 4. 1. 7 installer. Installs. Now I can paste in my email segment. However, I then select print and it locks up. Could it be any more useless?

microsoft office (9) microsoft word (5) microsoft products (3) ms office (6)
markb2111
June 10th, 2020

jamesp199
January 12th, 2016

OpenOffice has been the free alternative to Microsoft Office suite for quite awhile now. Very Powerful Office tools at no cost whatsoever.

justusb9
February 19th, 2017

As all the reviews say - its a good free alternative for MS Office. I completely agree with that. Especially that comes in handy during some trips when due to some circumstanses you need a PC with Office isntalled, and for instance the hotel has onnly the PC (yup, I go on vacations gadget-free). I recommend!

marcelc21
April 13th, 2017

In my early days when I started in my business I've had to go by a limited budget and needed such type of tools. The Open Office suite has everything a small company might need in terms of office software and it does the job well.

donnap45
April 11th, 2016

We have used this program in between computers going down, it was great, otherwise we would of had to spend an extra 200 bucks. That's a lot of dollars for a small business. It was very handy, similar to most big budget word processing programs.

jacobf28
June 16th, 2016

I really like the fact that we have a free substitute for Microsoft Office. It can do many of the things that Microsoft Office can do, and -some may argue that- because of it's Shareware state, third-party programmers have come together to allow you to do even more. This makes it a really nice option for your office files.

Although the program is nice, there is one huge thing that has docked 2 stars from the shareware program: speed. It is the clunkiest, slowest thing that I have ever had to work with and I have a really fast computer!

pamelaf11
October 30th, 2015

Thank you Open Office for helping us express ourselves in a economical way. Plus you except donations. How does it get any better than that?

dg59
April 18th, 2016

Mostly happy with Office substitutes, but their macro system in Writer was too convoluted to be useful. Went back to WORD.

josephl89
June 7th, 2016

This is a great replacement for the MS office software and the best part is that it's free!

nexusm
July 17th, 2015

I'm not sure why Open Office is unable to create a functional spell checker. Its spellchecker misses at least 75% of errors which are detected by simple browsers such as Firefox. This means I have to copy and paste entire documents into my browser to check for errors. Fix the errors in the browser, copy the corrected version, and paste it back into open office.

This product would easily get five stars if they fixed the spell checker. I would gladly donate or pay for the product in return. Open Office could charge at least $20 if they had a functional spell checker because it would be as good as MS Office at less than half the price.

dianad28
May 11th, 2015

Easy to use, perfect alternative to Microsoft Office. Best part, it's free.

deepikag1
July 9th, 2015

I loved OpenOffice its Open source and get rid of any licenses. Thanks to Open Office

mikes311
August 21st, 2015

Much better than microsoft products, takes a bit of getting used to. Keep up the great work!

jessicaw44
March 9th, 2015

Not excellent but ok. 3 stars.

terrancew3
waftt
January 3rd, 2016

Very good site for getting free software.

djfemmiej
August 9th, 2016

ALSO YOU CAN SAVE DOCUMENTS AS A PFD VERY EASY AND HAS all the suites you will be happy with this also it is compatible with WINDOWS AND MAC. AN AWESOME PROGRAM A MUST HAVE. GET IT YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

markc2033
October 20th, 2020

burtm19
April 15th, 2015

Does everything that MS Office used to ask money for. A fraction? Better make that free, what could be better?

bethr18
August 28th, 2015

Switched to Microsoft Office Word because it's better

kevint47
February 21st, 2016

To the life of me I cant figure why so many people are so diehard about microsoft products. That company has left all computer users subject to hackers, malwares, adwares, and system crashes for several decades.

Trying to use MS Office Suite is only as good as the operating system you have and computer you have to run them off of. Considering the nightmares that 4 out of the last 5 windows operating systems have been, thats scary.

Count them up: Vista bad, 7 great, 8 bad, 8.1 marginal but bad, 10 going fastly to the bad. That creates a problem. Especially since MS office suite auto links all your office suite items to your operating system files and guess what if some virus or malware gets into your machine...

You may be able to reinstall the system... but your documents are all lost. Even if you try storing them on another drive or partition... windows later may not recognize the access file in its system needed to find them and make them accessible all because they were referenced in your previous OS.

Open Office is the ONLY word product I use. I highly reccomend coupling it with a pdf product called FOXIT.

Freewares by college professors and tech teams have always been a great thing. Now they are abundant and reliable and pretty nice. I highly recommend this.

faunab
May 13th, 2015

I use MS office at work, but Open Office at home. When I need to move files in between them, I use google drive. It takes effort to save precious dollars.

chrisj34
March 10th, 2013

Why are you paying a lot? You can freely download, and use Open Office. It is very user friendly.

colbertc
October 28th, 2015

The open office paper program is comfortable to use. On par with Microsoft word, i would say

johnl196
February 11th, 2015

I prefer their software. Fewer upgrades to a great product. They are comparable with the top end softwares too.

Questions? Get answers from the Apache OpenOffice staff and other customers.

The official home page of the Apache OpenOffice open source project, home of OpenOffice Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw and Base.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apache OpenOffice?

See reviews as you browse with our Firefox extension

4.4
Have a question about Apache OpenOffice?