American Red Cross

American Red Cross has a consumer rating of 2.42 stars from 48 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. American Red Cross ranks 10th among International Development sites.

How would you rate American Red Cross?

“There is nothing more noble than an organization dedicated...”

Bess Z.
12/6/13

There is nothing more noble than an organization dedicated to helping those in need. I merely wanted to inform everyone that if you do decide to donate to the Red Cross to make sure you use an e-mail address that you don't use often. I didn't realize making a contribution meant subscribing to almost daily e-mails. (8 e-mails within 7 days. Some days I got 2, some days I got none.) Really, Red Cross, really? Luckily, there is an unsubscribe button. Well, that's my experience with the website! Just thought I would share.

“5 minute grace period”

Timothy C.
7/29/21

My appointment was at 4pm at Columbia mall in MD. I showed up at 4:06 and waited there for 3 minutes for the employee to come to the desk. She informed me that she saw me come in at 4:06 and told me there is only a 5 minute grace period, and that I'd have to drive back home and reschedule my appointment for another day. Are you kidding me? You claim to have a severe blood shortage but will not accept people who show up 6 minutes late? Good luck to your foundation.

timothyc763
July 29th, 2021

nicoles1484
September 17th, 2021

A few days ago I donated blood. I have a big bruise and it keeps growing enormous since. It is a bit painful. The nurse said it would bruise. But I expected a normal bruise, not one that takes up a quarter of my arm. The straps on my arm do not need to be so tight! The bruising tells me that my blood circulation was getting cut off.

alexas6
April 15th, 2014

This is a good site! American Red Cross is very helpful to everyone. Their assistance is helpful as well.

darryls120
December 21st, 2020

Tami S. At the Walnut, CA was extremely rude myself and another male donar. She had a bad tone and behavior before we even were allowed ro enter the building. I ended up not being able to donate blood, because she was upset that I mentioned her rudeness to us donors. I guess people will end up not getting my B positive blood after all. Such a sad situation.

cindyd451
December 7th, 2020

I was 5 minutes late due to downtown traffic. They shut down their computers and wouldn't take my blood. I am O+. Nice one red cross if there is no shortage. Why do you keep calling me. Downtown Wichita kansas. She said the only wait 5 minutes. I pointed to the clock that said 1:35.

emmao32
January 5th, 2020

I took a training course with Red Cross in Denver over three weeks ago and I STILL haven't gotten my certificate for it. I need this certificate in order to start my job, and have called their customer service line many times and relayed that info to them. They say there's "nothing they can do" except contact the instructor, who apparently doesn't check their email for three weeks. I drove into Denver and got the phone number of my instructor's direct supervisor, called her, and she told me she had emailed someone who could help. I haven't heard back from her and it's been three days. This is the WORST treatment from an organization that I have ever experienced and so, incredibly unprofessional and disorganized. I have bills to pay! Three weeks without work is UNHEARD of! I have never been more frustrated in my life. I should sue them!

nageswaram
August 30th, 2021

A total of 230000 people died in 2010 earthquake. I remember contributing twice to Red Cross that year which collected $500 million in donations. Red Cross claimed it built 130000 houses in Haiti. I know that it pays its president very well. When Elizabeth Dole was president in 90s she was paid close to $2.5 million. The much maligned NPR investigate Red Cross 2010 Haiti effort. It found that Red Cross built 6 houses in Haiti. If they walked across the street and told a resident that they be better of hammering something hanging loose, they recorded it as building a house. Red Cross is very secretive. It refused to open its books to Congress. Their administrative costs are 25 percent. When they collect a lot of money, they give money to other charities which take another 25% cut, the end receiver getting 30% of total. I give ~$250 +|- $50 every year to it. Not anymore. I used to give wounded warrior before a similar scam was unearthed.

bessz
December 6th, 2013

Luckily, there is an unsubscribe button.

Well, that's my experience with the website! Just thought I would share.

dawnc465
January 29th, 2021

We were burned out of our home in october we have struggled to find a home for four months red cross told ne that when we found a place they would help and now they say other wise we found a place we move into on monday its friday now and noone will be open to call and talk to we were depending on red cross keeping their word and helping. I begged and pleadsd called many peopke for help red cross reassured me they would help us get in to a place im so disappointed at the moment i have two small children were literally homeless four months and red cross says its been too long now to help

carmellag10
February 12th, 2022

They should get a BIG FAT "0" but the lowest is "1". PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW THE TRUTH.
I was displaced from my renters home after tornado IDA and lost my apt including all my belongings. They DIDNT LIFT one finger to help me or guide me- all they said was an indifferent sorry.DON'T GIVE DONATIONS to them. Give DIRECTLY YO THE COMMUNITY AFFECTED.! My surname is Spanish but I am CAUCASIAN. I still have nothing. I will be writing letters about my experience and WILL NEVER DONATE AGAIN.

wandab367
February 6th, 2022

I been donating for the last years every month and never had any problem put one time. The regular people who there at the Springfield MA were not there so they had worker from another site helping them that day so I had someone I never seen before call me and start to set me up for my blood and ended up blowing my vein and my arm become swollen and bruised. I was unable to donate that and had to reschedule. After that day I was always try to reschedule when the regular worker their until today when I show up everyone their today were people I never saw before. I decide to try and do my donation and ended up with 3 blow up vein because they were try to go ahead with the platelet donation when I keep telling them their were hurting me. I'm think my days of donating are coming to end. I love doing the donation to help people who need the help but I'm not willing to put my health on the line.

None

No product

tomera7
September 4th, 2021

They refused to take my blood because I lived in England for 3 months 30 years ago. I will never donate to this discriminatory organisation.

rhondam264
April 11th, 2020

I have been a willing and diligent blood giver for years. In the midst of this global crisis and with all the desperate pleas for blood donations, I simply do not understand how the American Red Cross can not fit me into their schedule. Time and time again, I am encountering donation drives that are filled to capacity - which is great - but also frustrating for someone who truly wants to give. Then, I scheduled an appointment at a local donation center only to have the appointment cancelled on me 8hrs prior. I don't understand. If the Red Cross is in such need - why am I continually being turned away?

rebeccaw1229
September 8th, 2021

The red cross canceled my appointment to give blood tomorrow because I said I would not wear a mask. They dont want the blood of an unvaccinated, no drug using, no alcohol consuming patriot because I wont wear a mask... I guess they dont really need blood then. I mean I figured they would being that there has been so many earthquakes, fires, and storms. But I guess they can only use deoxygenated blood for those victims.

None

rosem709
May 9th, 2021

They wouldn't help me because of my renter insurance and section 8 voucher so wrong only needed them for two weeks or less after renter insurance money ran out. Then I just found out I'm pregnant at 56 yrs old tried to call back for help they closed the case leaving me homeless with child, but they said we don't turn people away that's a lie.My landlord called on May 6,2021Thursday and has a place for me. Charlotte Housing Authority before you move into a place it got to be inspected and approve. This case worker didn't care at all and I still got to move out of the old place.The stuff did not burn up which going take time too. Then he tells me I need to apply for disability which i get all ready that got to go on my old bills water, power, gas, medicines, insurances and other moving cost too for uhaul all your utilities transfer. All this stress me out bad made my depression, anxiety, and blood pressure go to the roof I'm giving to God i think them for $500 dollar and most of that was for gas to drive around Charlotte NC looking a roof over my head and clothes, shoe, accessories soaps other... Then he really didn't like it because I said I'm not living in a bad neighborhood where they're drugs, prostitute, gun shots and never will staying safe amen!

davidr3086
January 15th, 2021

I have donating gallons of blood for the RED CROSS. I have stopped due to the Red Cross administration's involvement in politics. Instead of thanking members it insulted all by telling us who we can support or not. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE. AOC? Your position on this will make the streets run RED and you are supposed to collect blood not spill it...

Call your local hospital or health clinic..... don't give it to any organization that pays it CEO "American Red Cross pays its CEO nearly $652,000" It might register as a charity but when it comes to money strictly business.... SCAM Business.....

brigitter39
August 13th, 2021

It doesn't look good by these ratings for such an important and lofty/historic organization important to all of us. Add my name to the list of unhappy would-be donors. Giving in the name of a fallen firefighter, with an appointment and questions answered beforehand with a speedy entry voucher in hand. Nope... 45 minute backup. The nice lady who was clueless about how things operate told me to come back in half an hour. I did and the other lady said I wasn't allowed to leave and come back- and anyway the line was still backed up 45 minutes and no, they weren't staying late to accommodate any of the people who worked their schedule to be there. Don't be angry at her, she said, she's just a volunteer. But so are we! I've given 47 gallons to an important organization that couldn't figure out how to call HQ and get a replacement for someone who hurt their finger bringing equipment in (that was the excuse)
I had always aimed for 50 gallons, not sure I want to go back.

arlandm
August 21st, 2020

Aug 21 2020 I show up for my 230 appointment at Highlands Hospital in Connellsville Pa and after waiting my time reading and filling out the rapid pass and saying no to conditions I really dont even know what are and answering very personal and in appropriate homophobic questions. I get inside to donate. 3 screening and temperature checks later. I am denied because of a small hardly noticable scratch on my arm. Not a cut or hole. Paper cut is what we are talking about. Why wasnt that in all the fancy questions in the rapid pass. At least i know what a f@#& ing scratch is. I will not donate ever again. And hard working healthy young people need not donate either. Because they apparently dont need the blood that bad if a paper cut is a determining feature to fail a donation. Thanks for wasting my time and putting my health in jeopardy with the Covid at a hospital just to send me away mad over a scratch...

tomh1657
March 26th, 2022

I've been I've been American Red Cross donor for 20 years my name is Tom Haber I live in Smyrna Georgia I donate blood at the East Lake Crossing Center in Marietta Georgia I was arrested January 31st 2022 I was released March 10th 2022 I went up to the East Lake Crossing Center to give Pam my new cell number some stupid Evil Woman call the Cobb County Police on me they said I was trespassing in which I wasn't the police said I could not donate blood there after one year when you been in jail for more than 3 days you cannot donate for one year I was in jail for 33 days on a trespassing charge at T-Mobile store in Smyrna Georgia which I did not do the Smyrna Police never read me my Miranda Rights I've been on T-Mobile customer for over 20 years I will never donate blood with American Frost ever again I hope they go out of business or a completely evil my email address is this *******@yahoo.com

victorias569
February 12th, 2021

I have attempted to donate blood twice this week with the Red Cross. The first time was on 2/10/21 it was at St. Peter's Church in Monticello, NY. My GPS sent me to the wrong address, I called the Red Cross to let them know that I may be a few minutes late. They said I have a 15 minute window. I thought it would be okay.

I finally found the church, knocked on all the doors, and a priest finally answered and directed me to a building at the end of the block. Well. By the time I got there, they turned me away as they were leaving for the day.

I rescheduled for today at 6pm at the Downsville Central School in Downsville, NY--in the downstairs gym. When I got there, I saw the Red Cross truck & van. The doors were locked on the building. I banged as hard as I could on all the entrance doors. Nobody responded. I saw another side entrance, saw a maintenance guy, banged on that door. He either didn't see or hear me, or ignored me.

There were no signs anywhere directing anybody to go any particular place. Once I got inside, as the guy finally heard me, he informed me that the blood drive was in the auditorium. The Red Cross workers once again turned me away, as it was 6:05pm. The lady was very rude and said that nobody else had a problem getting in.

According to your FB page, blood is needed constantly. But the people that organize your drives are doing a terrible job at planning, communicating, and most of all, made me feel like I wasn't important enough to allow a 15 and a minute time discrepancy which was not my fault.

Sooo... I attempted to donate blood 2 times in the past 3 days. I feel very disrespected and discarded by the Red Cross.

I should at least be eligible to get 3 amazon gift cards or a gas card? This is quite a lot of driving and gas for me. Please let me know what the Red Cross will do to fix this situation. This organization needs to be dismantled & rebuilt from the ground up. Obviously those in charge give zero cares.

Of

johnm6318
December 13th, 2020

I know 3-4 other people who have had same experiences as me. They will take down your information and make an appointment for you and it is hard to find an appointment and when you finally arrive at the appointment you are totally at their mercy. I arrived at my appointment on time and I could not find the building since all the doors were closed and no one was at the entrance so I called and no one picked up. 10 minutes passed by and I saw another donor leaving and ask another her how to get in and when I knocked at the door a red cross employee tried to ignore me. After I kept knocking they finally opened the door and said they were closed. And I told them I had an appointment and it had only been 10 mins since my appointment time and they said sorry we are closed we can't do anything. I told them I was there on time and they closed early and they wasted 10 mins of my time by not opening their doors and not picking up the phone and they wouldn't admit their fault or take my blood donation. I left and told them I never want anything to do with Red Cross.

Another person I know went to his appointment and was told he can't donate blood cause he may potentially have a disease since he travelled to another country a year ago and none of this was ever mentioned before the appointment was made and the country he visited was not included in the list of banned countries that are in the questionnaire before making the appointment. Another person I know couldn't donate blood cause he is gay and apparently red cross doesn't accept blood donations from sexually active gay members due to risk of AIDS/HIV even though anyone could have HIV/AIDS and the blood can be tested for it anyways. They can't rely on people's word to scan the blood for diseases.

Overall Red Cross is a scam and asks people for donations so their employees get paid and they can keep the organization running meanwhile innocent people who just want to donate blood have to jump through a lot of hoops to be able to donate blood. It should not be this hard to donate blood. Red Cross is always the first one to be present at natural disasters to collect peoples money and they have no shame at all. Most of the money donated to red cross doesn't even go to the cause or towards helping people, it goes towards maintaining the organization. The salary of Red Cross CEO is almost $700,000 a year. When I saw the red cross building I was shocked at how big it was and how much it would be costing them to keep this running. Employees of red cross don't care either since they are being paid no matter what.

janed1001
March 10th, 2022

Yesterday, I was very excited to donate blood and I felt as though I was doing a good thing until I got onto the bed and the phlebotomist who was supposed to insert the needle was very rude to me as well as to others in front of me. She messed up the insertion of the needle and continued to push it farther into my vein causing me a lot of pain and a burning sensation in my arm. She then called another woman over who wiggled the needle while it was in my arm, moving it in circular directions, and pushing it in deeper as well as pulling it out some. She pressed around the injection site and made a remark saying, "you aren't bleeding fast enough" when my blood was slow moving in the tube that brought it to the blood bag. This being my first time giving blood I was already extremely nervous and it intensified my nerves when I told them it was hurting me or asked questions about my specific situation and got no answer. I have a lot of bruising (which is expected), however, there is numbness and pain remaining from yesterday's experience Overall, it was a terrible experience and it saddens me because I was very excited to donate and was looking forward to becoming a regular donor but this definitely turned me off from future donations. After talking with a few other donors, they had shared my same experience of having rude phlebotomists and incorrect injections.

robertg2121
January 5th, 2021

After I recovered from Covid in late July, I decided to donate my platelets. After determining that the closest facility was in Princeton, NJ, which was 2 hours away, I made the appointment. Overall the experience went fine. Based on that, I made another appointment to return. They called me the night before to confirm and after driving 2 hours in a major rainstorm, I arrive at the facility only to be told that the machine had not been functioning. I did not receive an excuse as to why I had not been notified, nor did I receive an apology. Based on that, I will not be back!
I find it incredible that in this time of such great need, the only group that can perform this service is that incompetent. Very scary!

davidl4356
March 25th, 2022

I'm not sure I would ever donate blood to ARC again. I had a 3:30 Appointment at the following location. March 25th
Alderwood Clubhouse
28610 Baxter Road
Murrieta, CA 92563
I took off work early and arrived at 3:40 due to traffic and the guy said they only have a 5 minute grace period and couldn't take me and would need to reschedule. Seriously? This is customer service and caring about people and getting blood to save lives. I took my time off to do a good thing. I had my rapidpass completed that alone would have saved more than the 5 minutes past his deadline that I was. 10 minutes late, not 30. I thought he was joking at first. Don't bother donating to ARC find another place that really cares and appreciates their donors

riche56
August 22nd, 2021

The Red Cross is now, and for decades has been, using disasters to raise money. The organization will only help if there's media coverage.

In 1970 there was an earthquake in the mountains of Peru. I was one of two US Air Force CCT sent into Anta, Peru to turn a road into a landing strip to bring in supplies and take out injured. For the first 16 days the only ones allowed in were relief support folks.

When I was finally relieved after 16 days, I went to my hotel in Lima. I stopped by the bar to get a drink to take up to my room with me. Now, sure, I was pretty dirty and my uniform unkept after 16 days.

There were several men in some sort of uniforms sitting at the bar. One of them told me what a disgusting example of US military I was in my filthy uniform.

I asked who in the world he was and he told me that they were from the Red Cross.

I then asked why they weren't in the mountains helping and I'll always remember the answer;
"We don't go in until the media can"

Questions? Get answers from the American Red Cross staff and other customers.

Every 8 minutes the American Red Cross responds to an emergency. Support the Red Cross. Join us today by making a donation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Red Cross?

Have a question about American Red Cross?