American Red Cross

American Red Cross has a consumer rating of 2.66 stars from 41 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. American Red Cross ranks 10th among International Development sites.

How would you rate American Red Cross?

“There is nothing more noble than an organization dedicated...”

Bess Z.
12/6/13

There is nothing more noble than an organization dedicated to helping those in need. I merely wanted to inform everyone that if you do decide to donate to the Red Cross to make sure you use an e-mail address that you don't use often. I didn't realize making a contribution meant subscribing to almost daily e-mails. (8 e-mails within 7 days. Some days I got 2, some days I got none.) Really, Red Cross, really? Luckily, there is an unsubscribe button. Well, that's my experience with the website! Just thought I would share.

“5 minute grace period”

Timothy C.
7/29/21

My appointment was at 4pm at Columbia mall in MD. I showed up at 4:06 and waited there for 3 minutes for the employee to come to the desk. She informed me that she saw me come in at 4:06 and told me there is only a 5 minute grace period, and that I'd have to drive back home and reschedule my appointment for another day. Are you kidding me? You claim to have a severe blood shortage but will not accept people who show up 6 minutes late? Good luck to your foundation.

timothyc763
July 29th, 2021

nicoles1484
September 17th, 2021

A few days ago I donated blood. I have a big bruise and it keeps growing enormous since. It is a bit painful. The nurse said it would bruise. But I expected a normal bruise, not one that takes up a quarter of my arm. The straps on my arm do not need to be so tight! The bruising tells me that my blood circulation was getting cut off.

darryls120
December 21st, 2020

Tami S. At the Walnut, CA was extremely rude myself and another male donar. She had a bad tone and behavior before we even were allowed ro enter the building. I ended up not being able to donate blood, because she was upset that I mentioned her rudeness to us donors. I guess people will end up not getting my B positive blood after all. Such a sad situation.

cindyd451
December 7th, 2020

I was 5 minutes late due to downtown traffic. They shut down their computers and wouldn't take my blood. I am O+. Nice one red cross if there is no shortage. Why do you keep calling me. Downtown Wichita kansas. She said the only wait 5 minutes. I pointed to the clock that said 1:35.

emmao32
January 5th, 2020

I took a training course with Red Cross in Denver over three weeks ago and I STILL haven't gotten my certificate for it. I need this certificate in order to start my job, and have called their customer service line many times and relayed that info to them. They say there's "nothing they can do" except contact the instructor, who apparently doesn't check their email for three weeks. I drove into Denver and got the phone number of my instructor's direct supervisor, called her, and she told me she had emailed someone who could help. I haven't heard back from her and it's been three days. This is the WORST treatment from an organization that I have ever experienced and so, incredibly unprofessional and disorganized. I have bills to pay! Three weeks without work is UNHEARD of! I have never been more frustrated in my life. I should sue them!

nageswaram
August 30th, 2021

A total of 230000 people died in 2010 earthquake. I remember contributing twice to Red Cross that year which collected $500 million in donations. Red Cross claimed it built 130000 houses in Haiti. I know that it pays its president very well. When Elizabeth Dole was president in 90s she was paid close to $2.5 million. The much maligned NPR investigate Red Cross 2010 Haiti effort. It found that Red Cross built 6 houses in Haiti. If they walked across the street and told a resident that they be better of hammering something hanging loose, they recorded it as building a house. Red Cross is very secretive. It refused to open its books to Congress. Their administrative costs are 25 percent. When they collect a lot of money, they give money to other charities which take another 25% cut, the end receiver getting 30% of total. I give ~$250 +|- $50 every year to it. Not anymore. I used to give wounded warrior before a similar scam was unearthed.

karoln4
January 17th, 2021

We are so impressed by the services of socially instructive and such necessary materials, which are provided and taken into account for the population during the period of difficulties in getting sick on COVID on your website. I am very grateful for the advice received from your specialists and for the purchased medicines. A significant contribution is made by your online platform.

tomera7
September 4th, 2021

They refused to take my blood because I lived in England for 3 months 30 years ago. I will never donate to this discriminatory organisation.

rhondam264
April 11th, 2020

I have been a willing and diligent blood giver for years. In the midst of this global crisis and with all the desperate pleas for blood donations, I simply do not understand how the American Red Cross can not fit me into their schedule. Time and time again, I am encountering donation drives that are filled to capacity - which is great - but also frustrating for someone who truly wants to give. Then, I scheduled an appointment at a local donation center only to have the appointment cancelled on me 8hrs prior. I don't understand. If the Red Cross is in such need - why am I continually being turned away?

rebeccaw1229
September 8th, 2021

The red cross canceled my appointment to give blood tomorrow because I said I would not wear a mask. They dont want the blood of an unvaccinated, no drug using, no alcohol consuming patriot because I wont wear a mask... I guess they dont really need blood then. I mean I figured they would being that there has been so many earthquakes, fires, and storms. But I guess they can only use deoxygenated blood for those victims.

None

mikem2992
September 30th, 2021

This was to Presbyterian Church in Newton NC 9/29. As usual my 5:45 appointment turned out to be 6:30. That didn't really bother me, I'm used to a long wait and once they called me up I went through pretty quick. David from Uganda and Darryl from Charlotte were awesome. They were warm caring, informative, knowledgeable so there was no problem. Darryl from Charlotte had to pull off and as soon as my bag filled up another worker was there to finish me up. I didn't catch her name but she was a tiny little girl with a squeaky voice, she was awesome too, Good service out of the three. So my biggest problem is that once I was finished there were no hosts to serve drinks, food etc. If they are going to host a blood drive be there.

rosem709
May 9th, 2021

They wouldn't help me because of my renter insurance and section 8 voucher so wrong only needed them for two weeks or less after renter insurance money ran out. Then I just found out I'm pregnant at 56 yrs old tried to call back for help they closed the case leaving me homeless with child, but they said we don't turn people away that's a lie.My landlord called on May 6,2021Thursday and has a place for me. Charlotte Housing Authority before you move into a place it got to be inspected and approve. This case worker didn't care at all and I still got to move out of the old place.The stuff did not burn up which going take time too. Then he tells me I need to apply for disability which i get all ready that got to go on my old bills water, power, gas, medicines, insurances and other moving cost too for uhaul all your utilities transfer. All this stress me out bad made my depression, anxiety, and blood pressure go to the roof I'm giving to God i think them for $500 dollar and most of that was for gas to drive around Charlotte NC looking a roof over my head and clothes, shoe, accessories soaps other... Then he really didn't like it because I said I'm not living in a bad neighborhood where they're drugs, prostitute, gun shots and never will staying safe amen!

davidr3086
January 15th, 2021

I have donating gallons of blood for the RED CROSS. I have stopped due to the Red Cross administration's involvement in politics. Instead of thanking members it insulted all by telling us who we can support or not. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE. AOC? Your position on this will make the streets run RED and you are supposed to collect blood not spill it...

Call your local hospital or health clinic..... don't give it to any organization that pays it CEO "American Red Cross pays its CEO nearly $652,000" It might register as a charity but when it comes to money strictly business.... SCAM Business.....

brigitter39
August 13th, 2021

It doesn't look good by these ratings for such an important and lofty/historic organization important to all of us. Add my name to the list of unhappy would-be donors. Giving in the name of a fallen firefighter, with an appointment and questions answered beforehand with a speedy entry voucher in hand. Nope... 45 minute backup. The nice lady who was clueless about how things operate told me to come back in half an hour. I did and the other lady said I wasn't allowed to leave and come back- and anyway the line was still backed up 45 minutes and no, they weren't staying late to accommodate any of the people who worked their schedule to be there. Don't be angry at her, she said, she's just a volunteer. But so are we! I've given 47 gallons to an important organization that couldn't figure out how to call HQ and get a replacement for someone who hurt their finger bringing equipment in (that was the excuse)
I had always aimed for 50 gallons, not sure I want to go back.

arlandm
August 21st, 2020

Aug 21 2020 I show up for my 230 appointment at Highlands Hospital in Connellsville Pa and after waiting my time reading and filling out the rapid pass and saying no to conditions I really dont even know what are and answering very personal and in appropriate homophobic questions. I get inside to donate. 3 screening and temperature checks later. I am denied because of a small hardly noticable scratch on my arm. Not a cut or hole. Paper cut is what we are talking about. Why wasnt that in all the fancy questions in the rapid pass. At least i know what a f@#& ing scratch is. I will not donate ever again. And hard working healthy young people need not donate either. Because they apparently dont need the blood that bad if a paper cut is a determining feature to fail a donation. Thanks for wasting my time and putting my health in jeopardy with the Covid at a hospital just to send me away mad over a scratch...

victorias569
February 12th, 2021

I have attempted to donate blood twice this week with the Red Cross. The first time was on 2/10/21 it was at St. Peter's Church in Monticello, NY. My GPS sent me to the wrong address, I called the Red Cross to let them know that I may be a few minutes late. They said I have a 15 minute window. I thought it would be okay.

I finally found the church, knocked on all the doors, and a priest finally answered and directed me to a building at the end of the block. Well. By the time I got there, they turned me away as they were leaving for the day.

I rescheduled for today at 6pm at the Downsville Central School in Downsville, NY--in the downstairs gym. When I got there, I saw the Red Cross truck & van. The doors were locked on the building. I banged as hard as I could on all the entrance doors. Nobody responded. I saw another side entrance, saw a maintenance guy, banged on that door. He either didn't see or hear me, or ignored me.

There were no signs anywhere directing anybody to go any particular place. Once I got inside, as the guy finally heard me, he informed me that the blood drive was in the auditorium. The Red Cross workers once again turned me away, as it was 6:05pm. The lady was very rude and said that nobody else had a problem getting in.

According to your FB page, blood is needed constantly. But the people that organize your drives are doing a terrible job at planning, communicating, and most of all, made me feel like I wasn't important enough to allow a 15 and a minute time discrepancy which was not my fault.

Sooo... I attempted to donate blood 2 times in the past 3 days. I feel very disrespected and discarded by the Red Cross.

I should at least be eligible to get 3 amazon gift cards or a gas card? This is quite a lot of driving and gas for me. Please let me know what the Red Cross will do to fix this situation. This organization needs to be dismantled & rebuilt from the ground up. Obviously those in charge give zero cares.

Of

johnm6318
December 13th, 2020

I know 3-4 other people who have had same experiences as me. They will take down your information and make an appointment for you and it is hard to find an appointment and when you finally arrive at the appointment you are totally at their mercy. I arrived at my appointment on time and I could not find the building since all the doors were closed and no one was at the entrance so I called and no one picked up. 10 minutes passed by and I saw another donor leaving and ask another her how to get in and when I knocked at the door a red cross employee tried to ignore me. After I kept knocking they finally opened the door and said they were closed. And I told them I had an appointment and it had only been 10 mins since my appointment time and they said sorry we are closed we can't do anything. I told them I was there on time and they closed early and they wasted 10 mins of my time by not opening their doors and not picking up the phone and they wouldn't admit their fault or take my blood donation. I left and told them I never want anything to do with Red Cross.

Another person I know went to his appointment and was told he can't donate blood cause he may potentially have a disease since he travelled to another country a year ago and none of this was ever mentioned before the appointment was made and the country he visited was not included in the list of banned countries that are in the questionnaire before making the appointment. Another person I know couldn't donate blood cause he is gay and apparently red cross doesn't accept blood donations from sexually active gay members due to risk of AIDS/HIV even though anyone could have HIV/AIDS and the blood can be tested for it anyways. They can't rely on people's word to scan the blood for diseases.

Overall Red Cross is a scam and asks people for donations so their employees get paid and they can keep the organization running meanwhile innocent people who just want to donate blood have to jump through a lot of hoops to be able to donate blood. It should not be this hard to donate blood. Red Cross is always the first one to be present at natural disasters to collect peoples money and they have no shame at all. Most of the money donated to red cross doesn't even go to the cause or towards helping people, it goes towards maintaining the organization. The salary of Red Cross CEO is almost $700,000 a year. When I saw the red cross building I was shocked at how big it was and how much it would be costing them to keep this running. Employees of red cross don't care either since they are being paid no matter what.

robertg2121
January 5th, 2021

After I recovered from Covid in late July, I decided to donate my platelets. After determining that the closest facility was in Princeton, NJ, which was 2 hours away, I made the appointment. Overall the experience went fine. Based on that, I made another appointment to return. They called me the night before to confirm and after driving 2 hours in a major rainstorm, I arrive at the facility only to be told that the machine had not been functioning. I did not receive an excuse as to why I had not been notified, nor did I receive an apology. Based on that, I will not be back!
I find it incredible that in this time of such great need, the only group that can perform this service is that incompetent. Very scary!

riche56
August 22nd, 2021

The Red Cross is now, and for decades has been, using disasters to raise money. The organization will only help if there's media coverage.

In 1970 there was an earthquake in the mountains of Peru. I was one of two US Air Force CCT sent into Anta, Peru to turn a road into a landing strip to bring in supplies and take out injured. For the first 16 days the only ones allowed in were relief support folks.

When I was finally relieved after 16 days, I went to my hotel in Lima. I stopped by the bar to get a drink to take up to my room with me. Now, sure, I was pretty dirty and my uniform unkept after 16 days.

There were several men in some sort of uniforms sitting at the bar. One of them told me what a disgusting example of US military I was in my filthy uniform.

I asked who in the world he was and he told me that they were from the Red Cross.

I then asked why they weren't in the mountains helping and I'll always remember the answer;
"We don't go in until the media can"

peterp1073
September 16th, 2021

I used to donate to the Red Cross whenever they called and asked. The last year I made a donation by check, I was called the day after I was 1st contacted and asked if I sent the check. I was asked 2 more times during the same short phone call.

The next time I was called I wasn't working so I told them I could not donate. They asked if they sent envelopes and pamphlets if I would distribute them in my neighborhood. I agreed to do that. The pamphlets and envelopes arrived and I discovered I would have to provide the postage for all the envelopes, which I did. I was contacted a few days later and questioned as to whether I put out all the envelopes and then asked to go back to the neighbors that didn't respond and ask them why they didn't. This ended my relationship with the Red Cross and I will not become involved with them again in the future.

judif27
September 17th, 2021

I waited almost an hour, and they were still unpacking boxes, no a/c. #notthefirsttime, #nourgency, #terribleservice

alexas6
April 15th, 2014

This is a good site! American Red Cross is very helpful to everyone. Their assistance is helpful as well.

margob34
February 2nd, 2021

Every day and week I receive e-mail after email stating they are in a blood shortage and need blood and to please come donate. I feel obligated to donate and have never had a problem donating blood in the past. In fact I have given plasma for many many years.
My last 2 experiences donating blood were horrific. The staff was very young and NOT trained professionally to deal with the public day after day. They were not prepared with enough supplies so they had to use a blood pressure cuff to tourniquet my arm. There was no tape to anchor my needle in my arm so it ended up falling out. My phlebotomist was nowhere in site at this time because he and 6 others were observing a 1st time donor that was crying and freaking out. When I finally got his attention (after a couple minutes) he hollered for someone to go and grab some gauze. He brought only had a couple of 2x2 gauze pads and told him they were all out and this was all that was left. The blood was all over the chair, my arm and my shirt and pants. He took the needle out and gave me a band-aid to put on hole. All he could keep saying is how they were out everything today. He gave me a paper telling me if I had any problems with my arm or if I couldn't get the blood out of my clothes I could call the phone number on the paper and they would help me. He assured me that they would still be able to use my blood for testing purposes but was considered "contaminated" and couldn't be used on people since the needle partially came out. I was so frustrated because I have O- blood and anyone can receive my blood. The next incident I came in for an appointment at 7pm. I arrived at 7:04pm. I arrived late because I also had a patient that left my office later than expected. When I arrived I had the rapid pass pulled up and ready for them to scan They told me I could not donate because the system shuts down at 7:05pm. It was 7:04pm. I only know because I was looking at my phone. If they had the computers up and running still they could have seen me but they were already shut down and closed. They were very rude and told me that it wasn't there problem the system shuts down at 7:05pm and they could not see me. I quickly looked up to see 4 other people still hooked up and getting their blood drawn. The impression I got was they were done with the day. I will NOT be back. I'm SUPER FRUSTRATED with how this was all handled. Young kids with no experience and no leadership/PR skills. If this is where the American Red Cross is headed I am super disappointed and will not be back to donate.

gregorys319
November 17th, 2021

I went to donate blood today, 11/17, at the Reynoldsburg Ohio Police Department Red Cross blood drive. My appointment was for 10:00. I arrived 10 minutes early, as did another person. We stood there till 10. At 10:00, the lady in charge came and told us, "sorry, it'll be another 15 or 20 minutes". No explanation. She could have at least told us earlier. They're paid; we're volunteers. They showed no respect for our time. The other fellow and I both left. Also, the male member of the Red Cross team was wearing his mask down on his chin the entire time... no respect for COVID protocols.

tammyb95
September 27th, 2017

My name is Tammy Battles... I can not believe the way you guys are treating the victims of hurricane Harvey here in Houston Texas... you give out Confirmation number on September 11,2017...
You say the system crashed... and that is a lot of bull... Now everything came to a stand still... Until September 21,2017... Redcross is not honoring the first set of confirmation numbers that they gave out... When calling your on the phone 2 and 3 hours at a time and then they pretend to hang up on you... And the the denying any applications now there's been turned in... Knowing you cannot send an email to your cell phone from redcross and when you give the number they don't even want to look it up they don't want to honor it at all for the $400 help for victims family... Red Cross is a joke two families here in Houston Texas... My my confirmation number ZL12018... Please anyone out there who reads this... Who is looking for a hard worker... Single mother of four. Who lost her job to Harvey... In need of work please call me at *******534. Just in need of a little help... work Please

Questions? Get answers from the American Red Cross staff and other customers.

Every 8 minutes the American Red Cross responds to an emergency. Support the Red Cross. Join us today by making a donation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Red Cross?

Have a question about American Red Cross?