2018 CUSTOMER CHOICE AWARD

Road Scholar has a consumer rating of 4.49 stars from 1,414 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with Road Scholar most frequently mention clear instructions, good information and easy navigation. Road Scholar ranks 1st among Student Travel sites.

This company responds to reviews on average within 11 days

1,184

• I booked a trip, paid in advance, and then without warning Road Scholar cancelled the trip.
  • After almost 2 months are requesting some remuneration, they finally offered a small credit toward another trip...
How would you rate Road Scholar?

“Outstanding Customer Service”

Cherie G.
1/29/20

Recently we were asked to change the dates of an upcoming trip to Croatia/Slovenia due to low enrollment. The Travel Change Team and Travel Arrangements Team quickly made the needed changes and kept us fully communicated via emails during this process. I was particularly impressed with the flight schedule which was customized to our requests. Thank you Road Scholar!

“Hold on to your wallet”

Bruce V.
5/27/21

Dishonest. Others have ranked Road Scholar as poorly as I have. My partner and I were initially placed on the waiting list for a trip to coastal Maine. To hold our place we needed to make a $200 deposit. Not being told that we were accepted for the trip, we made other arrangements. Only yesterday, when I phoned Road Scholar to cancel the reservations did I learn that we had been accepted for the trip. I was told they would notify me later of the change. But they forfeited the $200 with alacrity.

Reviews (1,414)

trip (39) rs trip (3) 2 months (3)
cherieg22
January 29th, 2020

nancym2442
November 30th, 2021
Verified site experience

Thought I was including trip insurance with first page asking for credit card info but had to put it in again to pay separately. Confusing

Hello!

Thank you for the feedback!

When enrolling on our website, first the enrollment is completed and then participants are taken to Aon Affinity's website to purchase the trip protection. When enrolling over the phone, this is all done at one time. Sorry for the confusion.

Please feel free to call us at 877-426-8056 or email us at contact@roadscholar.org if you have any questions or concerns.

kerstenm
October 12th, 2021
Verified site experience

I am not great at on line activity like booking travel/ navigating sites…therefore I have a lot of stop and go to achieve my goals…but I was successful. Thank you

suem727
February 20th, 2021

I've been on 3 RS trips and have no complaints. I also see that some people are upset as the Covid crisis caused difficulties for them. I booked and paid for Beyond Band of Brothers and the went bankrupt and I doubt I will see a refund. I have accepted that and moved on. It wasn't their fault that this Covid thing affected their business as all tour programs are struggling. Again, once has to accept and move onward and upward. I look forward to a RS trip in 2022.

carols2402
November 13th, 2021
Verified site experience
• Updated review

I was too successful in booking online. I duplicate booked when I got confused by the second screen on insurance. It seemed like I was buying it twice. Fortunately, Melissa went to great lengths to straighten all of this out. I was very happy with the help Melissa gave me and I am now set for the trip. Thanks, Melissa.

Easy...
November 6th, 2021
• Previous review

Easy...

virginiag651
November 13th, 2021
Verified site experience

Easy choices from the keyboard, flexible and rapid display when changing my mind several times with options, clearly displayed print size and images, detailed itinerary explanations all made dreaming of a trip, and finally registering for one a pleasure.

marks4204
Verified site experience

Very easy to navigate. My husband is also "dairy free" and that apparently is not an option.

davidr4123
November 23rd, 2021
Verified site experience

Very intuitive. No, "darn it, I missed seeing that" experience. I've tried to sign up for things online, much less important and expensive that were very confusing.

kathleens1474
Verified site experience

It's been easy to register online and when I have questions, I always find a very helpful person by phone.

sarahm2442
October 7th, 2021
Verified site experience

Once I was able to log into the site, it was user friendly. Excellent. Thank you.

johne1739
Verified site experience
• Updated review

I have become quite familiar with the web-site and like its design. The content is rich.

I am familiar with Road Scholar having taken 4 previous...
October 17th, 2021
• Previous review

I am familiar with Road Scholar having taken 4 previous trips. Thank you.

lindam3425
October 3rd, 2021
Verified site experience

First trip I tried to enroll in would not let me even though the website said there was limited space available… it was another Quebec City (hiking) trip… otherwise easy enough… have never seen the admonition about credit card fees, but makes sense

Hello!
Thank you for the feedback!
Our apologies for the experience. It is very frustrating when that happens. Currently, the website is updated once per da. So, there may've been one (1) spot available that morning, and by the time you went to enroll, it was claimed. Please feel free to call us to enroll. Our advisors have access to resources with real-time availability.

davidn1528
Verified site experience

Easy to use and it remembered my old info so I did not have to fill in much.

deboraha903
Verified site experience

It was so easy for me to enroll in this trip. I had registered for a trip to New Orleans that was cancelled so I left my payment with Road Scholar as a tuition credit for future trips and that credit was accessed easily and efficiently to pay for my future trip. Thank you!

Hello!
Thank you for the feedback and kind words! We're glad to hear you used the Tuition Credit for your next adventure!

cobyl8
Verified site experience

Easy to navigate and clear and concise information. The detail in the FAQ is appreciated. The new policy on trip protection is much improved. Keep up the good work. More links to CDC and state department sites would be useful.

dorisn75
November 20th, 2021
Verified site experience

The new way I can look at my trip vouchers and apply them to my trips is great! Thank you!

nancys2268
September 27th, 2021
Verified site experience

It was very easy. I did not understand why I could not use more of my credit, but did use the amount indicated as available. Much easier than previous registration processes.

barbarab2673
October 25th, 2021
Verified site experience

It seems like I have to create a new password every time I use your site. Trying to decide which of two Williamsburg trips to take was tough as the write ups didn't give me much info.

sallyb387
September 24th, 2021
Verified site experience

It is easy to navigate and all requests for information are clear on what you want.

maryg2323
December 4th, 2021
Verified site experience

Easy! This will be my third RS trip, and I appreciate all you do for us on these trips!

tessm65
November 27th, 2021
Verified site experience

Easy to find what I want. Appreciate being asked to complete personal information.

evelync331
December 3rd, 2021
Verified site experience

So far, it's been fairly easy to navigate within the site. I was frustrated at first trying to pull up the program just by typing in the city/state name. Thank Heaven I had put it in my Wishlist. That was easy to retrieve.

lindar2133
November 11th, 2021
Verified site experience

It is a logical process, screens roll into one another. Thank you Road Scholar, it has been a hard year for your organization. You are wonderful people.

loral69
October 17th, 2021
Verified site experience

Easy to use and great information. I love that you describe the hotels and all the details.

reneeb590
August 19th, 2021
Verified site experience

We enjoy taking Road Scholar Trips. The tours are always well organized and very informational. The people are always friendly and funny. We make new friends on each trip we go on.

Reason I chose this business:

We wanted to go snowmobiling, dog sledding, and snow shoeing, and Road Scholar has the trip we are looking for. Even though snowmobiling is not part of the Road Scholar tour, we hope we can add it to the beginning or end of our tour. It'll be a fun adventure for both of us!

Yes, I took my granddaughter at 16 on a Road Scholar trip to Italy and we enjoyed a great time. So the following year I took her to Paris and once again we enjoyed a great trip. I am shocked by bad reviews when we had such a great educational time.

By Joan W.
See more answers (2)

Hello Bruce, Road Scholar has recently switched to online catalogs for the remainder of 2020. You can access these catalogs via our website at https://www.roadscholar.org/catalog-library/. We are hoping to return to mailed catalogs in 2021.

By Road S.,

Hello, Yes, If Road Scholar cancels a trip you are refunded for the program. You are not refunded for independent air travel you may have made. Sincerely, Road Scholar

By Road S.,

Hello Alex, Keep the Pace programs feature steady walking, standing and stair climbing throughout the course of the day. If your mom is active and enjoys walking, she should enjoy a Keep the Pace program. The program's daily itinerary can be found on the Road Scholar website. A note outlining the day's specific activity appears at the top of each day's daily itinerary. If Keep The Pace is too active, we also offer Ireland at a Slower Pace. Sincerely, Your Friends at Road Scholar

By Road S.,

My most memorable guided trips were with Road Scholar (e.g., Iditarod Dog Sled Race in Alaska; snorkeling, kayaking, hiking in Puerto Rico; Behind the Scenes at Disney World in Florida). But the worst were also with RS (possibly since it started contracting out trips to "providers"?). Unfortunately, I don't know who writes the information given to us participants: RS or the provider? And, if RS, does the provider get to approve it for factual accuracy? My suggestions: 1) check and double check the stated activity level for the RS trip, 2) look out for factual discrepancies in pre-trip written communications, 3) even be prepared to contact RS DURING YOUR TRIP with any egregious shocking appalling complaint, and 4) research other travel companies that might offer the same trip.

By ellen s.

Hello Robert, the sizes of all our trips varies quite a bit. If you can give us the program number or title we'd be glad to check and see how many participants can attend a certain program you'd like to attend. We are also available by email -- contact@roadscholar.org and by phone at 877-436-8056 during business hours Monday - Friday 8am - 9pm (EST). We hope to hear back from you soon!

By Road S.,

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Road Scholar staff and other customers.

Road Scholar, the not-for-profit leader in educational travel since 1975, offers 6,500 educational tours in all 50 states and 150 countries.

Road S.
Typically responds within 11 days

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Road Scholar?

Have a question about Road Scholar?