We’re in this together! Stay safe with our COVID-19 guide

View
×
Developed in part with a grant from
the National Science Foundation

USAJobs.gov

USAJobs.gov has a consumer rating of 1.65 stars from 49 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. USAJobs.gov also ranks 71st among Government sites. The most common issues with USAJobs.gov are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 5.6%

No positive highlights yet

• I've applied for more than 200 plus jobs in 2 years and receive no feedback either positive or negative.
How would you rate USAJobs.gov?

“USA Job site”

T J.
9/7/20

I have used USAJOBS in the past and was unsuccessful. I believe that was before they updated the site slightly, after the update I was able to apply easier. I also spent a little time reading the helpful information and tips regarding the site. I successfully applied, received notices and a job offer. Just takes time and patience.

“Failure to send authorization codes shuts down application.”

Francis S.
6/19/20

The website is hopelessly counterinuitive. When an applicant attempts to create a new password, the site responds... by not responding. If you have no intention of allowing applicants to enter the site, on which these same applicants have saved their curricula vitarum (no, I'm right, that's the plural), then why bother keeping this site on line? I recommend you fire your contractor, who built this site, and find some other group of post-millennial geniuses to design something that works.

2 years (3) 5 years (6)
joej442
April 29th, 2020
USAJobs.gov is the worst job application site that exists. Plan on spending a few hours just filling out the application on USAJobs.gov only to find out that all the information you just filled out is irrelevant because the department or agency website will make you fill it out all again. You're better off filing for unemployment than applying for a federal job. They make the job requirements so specific that unless you have made such a niche career path choice, they don't want you.
nm280
August 17th, 2020
I somehow strongly feel that usajobs.gov is a scam funded by the govt. I have been applying foe jobs through the website for over 2 years now. I get a response back that my resume has been referred, but it never goes beyond that. It happened at least over 15 times now. I am beginning to wonder if this website is even legit. After a few months i get a response back saying 'even though you were an eligible candidate we found some one else'. This is even without an interview. How would they now even without talking to me that the other person was a better fit.
ryans811
August 14th, 2020
A time-wasting monster with poor authentication methods, obsession over security that comes at the expense of retention of federal applicant files. Constant resets, deactivations, and notices to delete accounts and rebuild federal CV usually leads people infinitely frustrated that they give up on federal jobs or advancement and just go elsewhere.
lillyo1
June 3rd, 2013
This is a easy, non-complicated site. I have been looking and applying for jobs and even when the position you apply needs more experience they always respond back with the status of your application, if you weren't selected, they will tell you... Most of the sites where you apply for a job position, they just let you wait forever and never email/call back. I personally think that just the fact they let you know how everything goes with your application is a show of respect..."Respect" lately endangered..
stepht21
January 24th, 2020
The website has no filters for city
Horrible
Im not searching through 3000 listings
The developers need to be fired
I gave up
ryans614
March 23rd, 2020
I've had federal employment. Its overrated. Federal employees are lazy, entitled, and usually rely on temps and seasonal to actually do any real work in their office. Having worked for the federal government is the best possible case for just abolishing this useless entity and separating from it altogether.
mathewr23
May 17th, 2020
I don't know what the point of having this site could be other than meeting some legal mandate to post job openings, but they have no intention of hiring anyone from that site and make it literally impossible in my case to apply in the first place. I made an account/profile, but when I log in it makes me a guest user. When I click on the link indicating I have a profile already it sends me an email to link my account but all those emails ever say is my account cannot be linked and to contact the help desk. When I do that I get nonsensical emails about finding only one account (um... yeah), and replying "above this line" which I cannot do, I can only reply as my email allows, and that's as far as I get. All replies simply say to "reply above this line" which is clearly a way to keep people from applying on that site. I call the number associated with the job listing I was trying to apply for and get a recording stating "this mailbox is full and cannot accept new messages." Complete scam.
andrewl842
June 26th, 2020
USAJobs.gov is a clearing website for federal agencies required to advertise jobs to the public by law. It is nothing more than a formality, because the agencies are under no obligation to 'close' the jobs, meaning they don't come back to inform the public that a selection has been made. This is why so many referrals literally stay 'green' for years after the closing date.
For every 9 out of 10 jobs, the hiring official has already picked someone internal to the agency. One specific example can be as simple as this: It's easier to train someone internal who already holds a security clearance who will not require long, expensive background checks, than on-board a new person and do the paperwork.
The remaining 1 out of 10 jobs can be broken down in this way:
Half (0.5) will lead to an interview, where the agency is either looking for a well qualified external candidate, who will add value to the agency based on experience and qualifications, and compare them to their internal candidate of choice, or eliminate you with impossible questions that only the internal candidate would be able to answer. It's a win-win game for the agency, and again you are never informed following the interview.
The last 0.5% are jobs where no one wants to go, with a high turnover because you are sent to some lonely outpost of the 'federal empire' as I like to call it. This is the category that I've been in for the last 14 years, even though I'm a veteran. The Federal Government is a closed world, and by all means a good one if you are on the inside, but even being on the inside does not grant you any special favors when using this website to apply for higher managerial positions or even lateral transfers.
franciss108
June 19th, 2020
guglielmov
August 22nd, 2017
Here is a fact people, USAJOBS does NOT hire or screen people OPM does. As a website, it's pretty good and easy to navigate.

Most of these reviews should be for the OFFICE OF PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT (OPM).

MY STORY: I was hired without an interview after I got out as a disabled VET. I went through the VOCREHAB program set up by the VA and ya I got two degrees too. I submitted 100's of resumes for federal positions for TWO years with minimal "REFERRED TO SELECTING OFFICIAL" notices, maybe 5 or so times. That stinks considering how many jobs I applied for. But I was doing it all WRONG - ALL WRONG!

However, just as my unemployment ran out I was sent an email asking if I wanted a job I had NOT interviewed for - It was a GS-5 position. Yes, I was bummed since I was a Senior NCO when I got out and was doing quite well money wise. We all know GS-5 pay sucks.

So, I toiled for a few days, asked around and at the end of the day I took the position. Something is better than nothing and after all, I would be in the system.

That was 5.5 years ago, and now I am a GS-12 with a career I never thought I'd have or knew of.

My Chief said I was not hired because I was a Veteran but because my resume showed versatility and at the GS-5 level there was lots of room to grow.

Since getting in, my veteran status HAS helped me get promoted for sure however, I had to go TDY for three and a half months away from my family but the sacrifice paid off AND I got quite a few graduate credits from that school. Win-win.

My point is, if you are NOT getting REFERRED TO THE SELECTING OFFICIAL it's YOUR RESUME, not YOU. When I was going through the VOCREHAB program the feds that came and lectured us on federal hiring said one thing that chimes through whenever I apply for a new job in the government.

They said and I quote "Unfortunately the most qualified people will NOT get the federal jobs out there it's the ones with the BEST RESUME". And I can tell you first hand - THAT IT IS TRUE.

That is unless they have ALREADY pegged a job for SOMEONE. That too is unfortunately true in many cases. That is a prohibited practice but it does happen.

I paid a federal resume writing service to write ONE federal resume for me for a job I was interested in. I did not get that job BUT I was referred. Since that time I took that one resume and tweaked it for every job since and I get referred A LOT. Even for higher paying position, I apply for today.

I do get referred to the selection official a lot, yes, but like you do NOT get selected for many positions and I am a federal employee AND disabled Vet.

Think OPM not USAJOBS when it comes to federal hiring. OPM screens applicants for the process NOT USAJOBS. Now you know who to get mad at.

Also, think BIG RESUME, a 5 - 8 page resume is the NORM forget everything you have ever heard about the one-page resume. In federal hiring that will get you passed over every single time. They scan for KEY WORDS forget the opening statements too UNLESS that statement is filled with KEY WORDS you got from the job announcement. You HAVE to ADJUST the RESUME to EVERY job you apply for EVERY ONE OF THEM. One size does NOT fit all in this process.

And when in doubt HIRE A FEDERAL RESUME WRITER, KEY WORDS WILL GET YOU REFERRED. And for the love of God DON'T DEPEND on your DEGREES unless you are a Nurse, Doctor, Lawyer and so on, and even then EXPERIENCE and LENGTH of your resume WILL make things happen faster for you.

I've been where you are. Understanding the screwed up way this SCREENING process goes will get you in the door. Volume in applying is also a must. Don't submit 10 resumes and expect to be hired, when there are 1000's applying for that same federal jobs, VOLUME and RESUME are what counts.

And when you get DO get referred, and you will. That selection LIST you are on has 5 - 8 other people on in ranked positions SO KEEP APPLYING FOR OTHER JOBS while you wait.

I hope this cleared some things up for you. Just know 1000's of non-vets get hired every day in the federal government. You may have to take a LOWER paying job to just get in the system as well. Only you can make that decision as to if that will work for you.

Walking in the federal door as a GS-12, 13, 14, 15 is rare but NOT impossible. Remember one thing you ARE competing with CURRENT federal employees for those higher paying positions as well.

GOOD LUCK, and I hope this cleared some things up for you.
jamalj18
December 10th, 2019
This job site is worthless and fake and run by inept people that waste jobseekers time. I've applied for more than 200 plus jobs in 2 years and receive no feedback either positive or negative. Had one phone interview by CBP and was mocked for being unemployed. Whole purpose of looking for a job is to get one? Correct? I'd stay clear of this sucker trap of a job site.
dieselc1
November 22nd, 2019
I do not wish apon anyone to have to deal with this site. Uploading documents is supposed to be an easy process but freezes up all the time. The web page is cluttered there is no customer service or professionalism to help you if there is an issue with your application. USA jobs has affected more than 300,000 applicants this year alone. Don't let it be you before it's too late.
joshuap157
December 20th, 2019
I have applied to over 20 jobs on this site and some below the grade I was in the military. All have came back as not referred. Some said I was not qualified even though I did the duty for over 15 years. I have spoken to several retirees and we have come to a conclusion that the site is looking for service members who leave the military at or before ten years. I know of a Soldier who applied for the same job and got it after being CHAPTERED out the Army
kristinm261
May 1st, 2020
I have a feeling they're posting for jobs that are already filled or written for someone in particular. My husband applied for a USCG job for which he was amply qualified, considering he had already done it; he was IN CHARGE OF THE OFFICE AT ONE POINT. And they told him he wasn't qualified. He contacted his friend who still worked there and yeah, it went to someone they had already chosen. Fast forward, I applied for a low level investigator position with the DHS; I'm a former FBI Special Agent of nearly eleven years. I wasn't qualified. Right.
rr249
December 16th, 2019
Tells you you have so many characters for the resume is a total lie. Won't upload after so many. Once you get through that nightmare and uploading resumes, and other documents then you get to the end, and they want uploaded again. They only give you room for one resume. Then you go through the process all over again and re- upload the same documents again. And this process eliminated a very important page that cost me a permanent job. I am a Vet, and been working seasnol for Gov employment for 5 years and waited for this position. Disgraceful
lilya62
October 30th, 2019
I did everything correctly on my application. Sat down in a workshop about how to complete this long application process. It took me about three days, 5 hours a day, work, research and writing, for two positions.
Used spouse preference.
I was found eligible, but not referred for the position because there were other highly qualified applicants.
Not sure what is more qualified for an administrative position than experience and a masters.
I am done with this website. It is a scam. They hire people the know. They only open the jobs because legally they have to.
Don't bother.
edr125
June 25th, 2018
Very confusing, sometimes doesn't work at all and definitely not user friendly. The 'help desk' is worthless.

A job applicant must use it however, because for many federal agencies it is the only way to apply for federal employment.

As others have pointed out the vast majority of Federal jobs are filled by internal promotions. The Federal bureaucracy (especially OPM) seems to hold private sector employees in utter contempt.
donnaj166
March 18th, 2019
Website is a total joke! I apply for positions, only to have them cancel several times and receive requests to try again. Few of the agencies ever update your status. And, I am unsure how they get away with this. I would love to see Dateline or 20/20, do an investigation regarding the government's shady hiring practices.
natef28
January 24th, 2020
The requirements for the Wounded Warrior Fellowship Program are straightforward but ambiguous concerning the window of time out of service' (Not clear and open to debate). I have not yet hit my 6-year mark out of active duty, yet according to employees answering the phones I still don't meet the requirement of being within the "last five years." The wording of the requirement "the last 5 years" is ambiguous and I believe I am still eligible when those words are used. I have connected to employees who get the applications and they have to change the wording, the entire sentence, to explain what the requirement of time is talking about. I plead for some understanding on this. If a person reads a requirement or rule (That isn't clear and isn't specific) thus, ambiguous in its meaning, that person in concern is left to assume what is being said was set up for failure from the start.

I explained to the employees how 5.5 years is still included in the requirement wording "last 5 years." The employees explained to me the meaning of the requirement by rewording' the entire requirement. Never once did they use the exact sentence or words as used in the requirement (and what they were saying made complete sense using the words they used). What they were trying to get me to understand I understood fast because the words they used actually meant specifically what they were talking about and what the program was looking for.

I do believe that if this case were brought to a courthouse my argument would win quick and easy. Wording matters. The words used in the requirement of time separated' set me up for failure.
davef196
November 25th, 2019
Disqualified for everything just got disqualified for an intership as a veteran enrolled in university waste of time
wallys10
May 2nd, 2018
New system for login is the worst. I understand security for a secure site, but this is for federal jobs not NASA, CIA, FBI or White House. I can't get logged in because I live and work for the US in German. They can't call a German number to give me a login code. I work in a SCIF so I'm not allowed to have my cell phone all day unless I leave the bldg and go to my car. Who sold the higher ups on this $#*!e website design?
alexisr90
September 18th, 2019
I'm a 4 year veteran OEF OIF. Served during 9/11 and initial campaigns. I have over 7 years of law enforcement. I have a 4 year degree with a 3.8 gpa. I speak both English and Spanish fluently. I am willing to relocate and take a paycut (I make 100k before taxes). Yet this stupid website makes it impossible for me to be employable. I also refused to put my demographics out for equal opportunity purposes. I want to be hired based on my merit. I have yet to be called for 1 interview. Do not trust this website!
tj190
September 7th, 2020
dt181
July 23rd, 2019
The website is a joke. If you have to go through all the BS they require just to get rejected time after time, then the jobs being posted don't deserve your services. Especially when you know you meet the qualifications. Twice, I was rejected because they say I put that I would refuse a polygraph, lol. It also came back that I stated that I didn't have a drivers license. The application I filled and printed out showed otherwise. This is not by accident, they have a way of choosing the exact candidates they want for those lousy federal positions... Indeed.com, Zippy, governmentjobs.com, and your city/state job postings are the way to go. USAJobs.gov ain't all that, trust me don't waste your time and energy. You can't even plan your next move waiting on responses from them...
ayeb1
March 8th, 2019
I saved all 895 rejection emails & going to make into art décor, encase then place next to my framed degree in strategic intelligence. BTW use governmentjobs.com for city, county and state jobs. IT WORKS GREAT!

Yes, I agree, and NOW they do not have phone numbers for a POC on a lot of announcements which is complete BS... The emails listed on the postings come back as undeliverable - big joke.

By Guglielmo V.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the USAJobs.gov staff and other customers.

Search and apply for federal jobs. Learn about unique hiring paths for veterans, students and graduates, individuals with a disability, and more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAJobs.gov?

Have a question about USAJobs.gov?