Virgin Media Ireland

Virgin Media Ireland has a consumer rating of 1.2 stars from 56 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Virgin Media Ireland most frequently mention customer service and direct debit problems.Virgin Media Ireland ranks 125th among Internet Service Provider sites.

No positive highlights yet

• FYI: This is exactly the reason your customer service rating is SO poor.
How would you rate Virgin Media Ireland?

“If Carlsberg did Media... Indeed!”

Don R.
10/25/17

I was quite sceptical about media providers, having had very bad experiences with two major competitors. Virgin was my last resort, and they seemed almost helpful when I contacted them by phone.The 'Self' installation involved a few further calls, but each time I was speaking to someone in minutes, as opposed to circa 40 minutes. My last interaction has just finished, and it was a visit by their engineer Glen Geraghty. I understand that Glen is still under supervision, as his minder Mark called to see how he was getting on. Well, if Glen is representative of the people Virgin are recruiting, then there will only be one provider in a few years. He was so totally committed, explaining everything as he went along, and refusing to leave until he was fully satisfied that we were perfectly happy with everything. If Carlsberg did Media... Indeed!

“Depressing”

Tudor T.
1/21/21

Do not in the love of god choose this company if you have at the very least any other companies on your address. 3 weeks for a new address installation - excuse? - "order stuck" Re-ordered to get the equipment sent - contract is at full price now lol go f**k yourself. If you wish to be mentally scarred after days and days of speaking to incompetent people that have no means of resolving any issues and just drain your mental stability go ahead.

customer service (16)
tudort1
January 21st, 2021

3 weeks for a new address installation - excuse? - "order stuck"

johnm8200
October 5th, 2021

Got my new 360 box 3 months ago. When i try to connect box it says can't retrieve account. I have spent up to an hour & a half per session trying to get through without success. I have WhatsApp them to be told that I'm through to wrong place. To try email service in other section no success there either. I then emailed the complaints section & got email back to say someone would contact me inside 10 days. I'm still waiting. A joke of a company

ciarab48
May 31st, 2022

NEVER use this company! I rang a few months ago to cancel my contract due to my redundancy. They offered me a reduced deal but when i explained that my house lease would be up before the new contract ended, they reassured me that the contract cancellation cost would be 150Euro per service. They did not explain that although i was only paying one DD with them and had signed just One contract with them, that they would actually be charging me 3 times to cancel my contract as it was a bundle contract. So instead of the 150 that I agreed to, they are now trying to charge me 450Euro! I told them how completely misleading their agent was, how i feel completely tricked and betrayed by a company I've used for more than 15 years but management don't care. They insist the wording the agent used was 'correct' even though it was completely misleading. My question asked for the cost of contract cancelation, so to only tell me 1/3 of the cost is dishonest, misleading and Corrupt! Do not trust this company, they have absolutely no loyalty or concern for their customers. I was specifically ringing them to inform them of financial issues and instead of being transparent with me about cancellation costs, i was tricked and misled by their agents so that they could make their commission. DISGUSTING, DISHONEST COMPANY! Beware of these fraudsters, shop around, don't be fooled by their so called low prices because they will try to rob you if you leave them, even after 15yrs of being their customer! This issue is also logged with their regulator for investigation. This is fraud and a scam, please don't make the same mistake as me.

NEVER USE THEM, they will mislead, rob and trick you into getting your money under any circumstances.

ONE bundle contract with one direct debit payment - which they are now trying to triple charge me to cancel

matil2
September 9th, 2021

I have a simple query to resolve. Over the past 2 days, I've contacted the whatsapp chat, the online chat and the phone help desk. No one answered. I stayed on hold for over an hour before hanging up out of frustration. This isn't the first time I'm having issues with these clowns, if you can, I highly recommend taking your business elsewhere.

robk232
January 22nd, 2022

Read my story and see if you can spot a pattern.

I signed up for a year contract. Only two days later we decided to cancel. However they delivered the TV/broadband equipment to my house a day earlier than expected, so now we're stuck with equipment we don't need. But no problem, we can send them back.

Two days later (after getting a poor deal with Sky) we decided to stick with Virgin. You'd think they'd be eager to have more customers?

I called them to reactivate the account. I gave serial numbers of the equipment we have.
No problem, they said, it's just an office activation - not a new account and no new equipment will be sent out.
* Got an email with a new account number.
* New equipment was sent out the next day.
* The service activation actually never happen and they never informed me.

Broadband was obviously not working so called them three days later.
The office activation didn't work and they didn't understand why.

I gave serial numbers of the equipment we have AGAIN.
No problem, they said AGAIN, it's just an office activation AGAIN - not a new account and no new equipment will be sent out.
* Got an email with a new account number AGAIN.
* New equipment was sent out the next day AGAIN.
* The service activation actually never happen and they never informed me AGAIN.

Still no TV/broadband. Waited a couple of days, so called them back.
The office activation didn't work AGAIN.

As I write this it's 10 days since I first tried to get setup.
Just called the technical support. The office activation didn't work and they didn't understand why AGAIN.

They said they would transfer me to sales team AGAIN - and specifically said that there were Sales people working on a Saturday.
* Got transferred - then got answer machine saying no sales team on a Saturday.

I called back 10 minutes later.
They said they would transfer me to sales team AGAIN - and specifically said AGAIN that there were Sales people working on a Saturday.
* Got transferred - then got answer machine AGAIN saying no sales team on a Saturday.

Their website says that the sales number is open Saturdays.
Tried calling it - got answer machine saying closed on Saturdays.

To sum up:
If they try to fix something and it goes wrong - they won't contact you to tell you. You'll have to figure that out for yourself.
One person won't handle your issues - it will get passed around to several people. So expect to repeat the same issue to many people.
Their support team don't know what the working hours of their sales team are.
During the week, every phone call will require you to wait 30 minutes.

Honestly the hassle I'm getting is not worth the offer they're giving.
I'll give at most two stars only because the people on the phone are nice to talk to.

joans798
January 10th, 2022

Paying 100 euro a month for broadband not even fibre optic and 50 channela that aren't even interesting!

thomasf689
September 11th, 2020

Hold times of over 2 hours. I'd avoid this service as there seems to be no customer service put in place but they are fast enough to cut your service if you're short on a payment due to losing my job over the Corona. We have to be understanding with them over the Corona impact but they can't be understanding to us. Cancelling contract as soon as someone bothers to answer the call.

terryo42
May 21st, 2021

With Virgin Mobile, It's problem after problem. There is absolutely no customer service. This Whatsapp contact facility is pitiful. No matter when you contact them, regardless of the time of day. You will be left waiting indefinitely, I have been on Whatsapp for 6 hours waiting on a reply to a simple question, and it's that way constantly... I have sent complaints, but they are ignored and remain unanswered. Their mobile coverage is the worst... dropped calls, no signal, no data. In areas where coverage should be solid. How any company can be allowed to treat customers like this and get away with it is absolutely shocking... I'm just about 3 months with them, and I can honestly say from the very start it has been an experience... If you value an easy life for Jesus sake... Avoid this shower of wasters... Or you will end up like me.!

laurenc636
October 6th, 2021

The worst experience I have ever had with any company
1. Atrocious customer support - took me multiple attempts to cancel. Constantly left on hold and hung up on.
2. MyVirginMedia account information- I have never been able to access my bills online. Errors constantly come up and prevent me. When I went in store to report they said this was an ongoing issue. I've been a customer for 2 years and not once had access a bill.
3. Access to roaming - Have been unable to activate my mobile data abroad. Despite calling to report the issue before travelling, while I was abroad and up return the next trip I was still unable. With no access myvirginmedia account so am not able to activate it there. Again left on hold for extended lengths and never resolved. Told it was my phones issue bought a new phone an problem persisted.
The worst experience I have ever had with any company

markm3544
September 27th, 2021

Have spent more time been sent up their endless looping cul de sacs... Wife got tired of waiting on the 1980 call number.and the wattsapp route is a joke...

raec43
September 10th, 2021

I've been a customer for about 2 hours and have been on the phone for an hour mainly on hold as the guy who signed me up for broadband also set me up on a 25e mobile plan which I didn't ask for and am now trying to cancel it which Virgin make as hard as absolutely possible. At this rate I'll be cancelling everything with them. After 2 hours of being a customer

davidc3302
June 26th, 2020

@VirginMediaIE
Got my services restricted in the middle of the pandemic with one-month arrears, no internet all morning, unable to work from home, when we called the agent 'Helen' was only looking for card details without even offering any payment options, felt horrible. Pouting face

josephm1112
January 18th, 2020

32 bad reviews says it all... the biggest tv and braodband provider in ireland and you cant even get the biggest fight of the year on it... you ring up and its the same thing they say 8 months ago its coming soon! But this time one of the reps said he has a loop hole after i went are your really not showing the fight... so he told me to sign up to ufc fight pass and buy the subscription and doing so you get a 30 day trail and one fight card for free... a load of pony he told me just to get me off the phone id say... sort it out virgin 32 bad reviews dont lie

ciaranm18
November 8th, 2020

I have been a customer of Virgin Media for 10 months, using their 250Mb Broadband service.

I (foolishly) decided to upgrade to 1Gb + TV360 ("The Beast Bundle") las Thursday. New router and TV box arrived on Friday. This is when my living hell started.

Before I proceed, it's important to point out that I run a tech company and am extremely experienced in setting up broadband routers and WiFi connections.

I followed the simple instructions to install new router (effectively unplug old router, plugin in new one) and wait "up to 30 minutes".

Hours later, nothing.

I phoned Virgin Media 1908 - I was left holding for 2 hours, without being connected to a customer care agent.

Later, I was directed to their "customer support" (it's a WhatsApp number). Each question/message I posted took (on average) 15-30 minutes for a response.

I asked support why the slow response, only to be told that the support person "was simultaneously working on 6 other support requests"!

Yesterday morning (Saturday), I spent over 5 hours on their useless WhatsApp support trying to get the connection issue resolved. No joy, whatsoever.

WhatsApp support person was next to useless (check for loose cables, etc.). I then establised, via connecting to the router's ip (control panel) that yes indeed, a broadband signal was been fed to it), clearly indicating a faulty router (new, black Hub 2). After some online research, it would appear that many other customers have experienced faulty routers, so I suggested to support person a new router be sent out. No.

I was then told that an engineer visit was required. I asked when would this happen, only to be reminded that "there will be a €50 engineer fee".

I then requested for my existing white router to be re-enabled, until a non-faulty new router would be sent, only to be told that this was not possible, and that my white router "was no longer on their system".

I have no intention of paying for an engineer fee.

I now have no internet connection.

In my 54 years on this planet, I have never, ever, ever experienced such atrocious support from ANY service provider.

I would not recommend Virgin Media to my worst enemy, and rue the day I ever decided to contact them.

declank9
December 22nd, 2020

Having gone from 360 gbps to 1gbt there was no difference in speed and constantly disconnecting and buffering. The reason for changing from one to the other was the same issues with the previous. Having had three consecutive engineers called out, each one found faults with the line, one after the other, so a waste of time having an engineer out in the first place, and still constantly disconnecting and buffering. Virgin advertise fiber broadband straight to your home but the reality is other providers interfere with the signal, kicking you off when there's too much traffic on the same line. I cancelled my contract with virgin and was informed that i was not entitled to any refund because i did not ask for one before cancelling the contract, so customer care does not even make an appearance here. If i could give virgin media broadband Ireland negative stars, my screen would be full of them. Avoid this company

pascalf19
August 9th, 2021

It has been very troublesome to get the Router, even though we didn't even need installation because it was already set up in our apartment.

The company canceled the scheduled appointment on their side without informing us because of missing information, that again, nobody informed us about. Then the company deleted our account - without letting us know.

We had to contact customer support every day and restart the same conversation over and over.
Most of the time we had to hold the line for at least 1 hour, a couple of times the line just got cut.
In total we've wasted roghly 8 hours with customer support.

In the end we didn't get the contract we wanted.
Overall the worst customer support experience I ever had

Please don't. You won't get happy ever again. It's like this company steals tiny parts of your soul everytime you have to call customer support and hold the line for minimum 1h.

The Internet package

liliq1
September 22nd, 2020

Not rewarding loyalty customer. On hold hours no reply. Never dealing with this company again. Terrible experience..

juliusm64
November 22nd, 2020

I hate Virgin Media. They're using the chances to rip off everyone for exchange of a crapy internet just because there's no decent competition in Ireland for broadband. If you look their prices every year they increase broadband price and a speed itself just gets worse! Between March and April it took for me 6 weeks with numerous calls, chats and even registered post letters until they changed the IBAN for their DD. Customer service is just nice, but not well trained and the company itself don't even try to improve, just care about the profit. I had a plan with up to 250Mbps speed and was having just 100Mbps in practise. When changed to 500Mbps it's now 200Mbps in reality. Virgin Media is just money makers. Total lack of competition.

colins108
July 10th, 2019

Terrible customer service. Rude, passive aggressive staff. Cancelled and even that was an ordeal with an incredibly rude rep.

alexeye6
February 5th, 2018
• Updated review

After two price increases in 2016, +5 euro in Jan 2018. I would expect the support of loyal customers, while here it is vice versa.

Aggressive price politics
April 10th, 2016
• Previous review

"-":
1) Very aggressive price politics
2) Increasing price for previous/old packages (120Mb, e.g.) + making them unavailable for new customers (120Mb, 100Mb, 60Mb are not available now)
3) No packages with lower speed while 99% of users don't need the only 2 broadband pricey packages (240Mb & 360Mb)
E.g. user with standard WIfi or/and 100Mb Ethernet is unlikely able to use more than 100Mb (even technically).
I presume that a lot of users don't really notice/need more than 60Mb (exceptions - who downloads huge files)

[update on Nov-2016]
4) second notification about price increase this year: +5e in Jan'2016, and +2.5e in Nov, 2016 => old title confirmed again => -1 star (3->2)

"+":
Is really fast for those (maybe 1-5%) who really needs 240Mb and 360Mb

shaneo7
February 6th, 2017

I was going to sign up for Virgin mobile and decided to look up reviews of the service as I was mainly concerned with coverage. I'm glad I found these comments as it completely changed my mind.

mochog
August 21st, 2017
• Updated review

Last time virgin media was horrible
Now after calling and complaining on the phone the internet is actually good
Its kind of annoying that you have to complain to get a good service

What happend this service?
August 21st, 2017
• Previous review

At night virgin media becomes horrible
At day its basically as bad
FIX THIS
What you should do is hire more workers or fire your previous workers who are doing the job badly because they are probably sleeping on the job
Our internet speed is slow and for a famous guy I know who haves the same broadband he isn't even able to create content
He does this as a living
Think about the people

mars14
October 3rd, 2019

Disgraceful! 3 weeks I have no services and they are not even putting any effort to help me out! On top of all that they are charging me full price for services which are not working...

owenc54
November 12th, 2019

Right were do I start customer service right, ring them up to cancel my account they first claimed I was one day over my 14 day cooling of period when I new I was not so there started the hard sale warning me that my tv and internet was going of and kept refairing back to what I had talked about previously in the early stage of contract could not have said it more clearly I want to cancel it took me all of 1 hour to cancel with theses people god never again 70e for freeview CHANNELS please do not go near these. Hard sale you I would have hated to been an older person and not understood what was been said to me very misleading there customer service and dont no what cancel means. And I all so during the conversation ask to speak to supervisors or managers I was put on hold then came back to me stating all management was in a "meeting" then because he just would not cancel me let me go on my way for second time I ask to speak to management then I got one were his first words was sorry it was a human error I replied wot he went on to say I was sat here listening to the hole thing going and you are with in your 14 day cooling of period. Yes I got right the manager was there all along and told the guy to say he was in a meeting lie after lie then he said look you were not charged anything. Ok but think out loud how many human errors have you done if I was outside by one day of my cooling of period I would have had to paid for a years subscription to break free of contract. Very dangerous water virgin media. I sure your not allowed to do hard sales nor give faults information about management and certainly not about the contract I was on my 14th day today and i did make the comment so someone don't know how to count to 14 well for that reason you have lost a customer and would advise people to be careful of there terms and conditions because they will turn them to there advantage when it suits.

majicg
September 14th, 2018

Charging people 97e for bundle of TV containing worst channels in history all +1. While new customers gets charged only 50e a month. After 5 years with them i was offered just the broadband for 59e a month while new customer gets everything for 50e. WOW! And trust me they will overcharge you for everything. Going to Sky now, hope Virgin will go bankrupt in Ireland

Yes, all of the time, don't bother with it and customer care will fob you off to the next engineer and the next customer care agent, it does not work and being constantly disconnected will drive you insane, something nobody needs at the moment

By Declan K.