Lichess.org

Lichess.org has a consumer rating of 1.86 stars from 43 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Lichess.org ranks 413th among Games sites.

How would you rate Lichess.org?

“Free as in freedom”

P H.
2/10/21

Lichess is free, nonprofit and doesn't run ads. All the features are available to you. It has the strongest in-browser engine (WebAssembly-based stockfish, much faster than stockfish.js on other sites), and even stronger server-based analysis using native code on powerful computers (for free!).

“Big tech does anything it wants without consequences”

Brian R.
11/17/21

Neither Lichess nor Chess – Play and Learn, aka Chess.com, provide anything close to the service their public relations spin claims they provide. I have screenshots of vicious verbal abuse threatening violence from members of both chess app developers, sent well over 10 screenshots documenting all manner of cheating, game abandoning, delay tactics, and verbal abuse to Google (the attached screenshots are from Lichess, but similar experience comes through Chess.com). I also quoted Google's own policies for software app developers back to Google, documenting point by point the daily violations both companies were engaged in. Google did absolutely nothing but give me the run around for nearly a year. Conclusion? Big tech does exactly what it wants if it means profit, and ignores abuses of many kinds outright, then lies directly to the public with public relations statements that have no relation to their actual practices

brianr472
November 17th, 2021
• Updated review

Parents, absolutely do not let your kids use these applications without immediate supervision, and be prepared for your kids to be savagely verbally abused and have big tech, the chess software and Google Play equally, make every excuse possible, deny, delay, ignore the problem. Google Play's denial that they ever received my screenshots came by way of REPLY TO THE SCREENSHOTS, WITH THE SCREENSHOTS ATTACHED TO THEIR DENIAL

Unjust, undeserved punishment
May 21st, 2021
• Previous review

I have never cheated on any chess platform, but criticized Lichess for not detecting cheaters when data they already possessed and published points directly at known cheaters, yet Lichess failed to clean it up. Lichess then shadow banned me, meaning I get paired only with others either prooven to be, or suspected of being, cheaters. About 50% of my opponents make no effort to hide their cheating, and Lichess completely ignores the problem. I escalated the complaint to Google Play, who also ignored the problem. The truth is, big tech does anything they want, fair or not, with impunity. The only solution is already on the horizon: crush big tech into small competing companies. The unjust shadow banning companies, will soon themselves be banned.

toreh2
March 31st, 2020

Lots of cheating players in another words thieves and criminals. Moderators are exactly the same. Criminals. Account gets timed out for allegedly running down the clock when I'm simply communicating with opponents. What's the purpose of chat then? Absolutely disgraceful. Stay away from those crooks. As law enforcement agent I'll be back with a search warrant.

hyeokjuns
April 9th, 2018

Nearly all of their practice programs are flawed. They present you with puzzles in which you find the "best move", but the moves the computer says are the best work off of a deeply flawed algorithm. It promotes getting check above all else, even when it is suicidal. Another example from my experiences with these puzzles is it presented me with a game in which I had the option to move my knight into a position in which it would either take the opponent's rook or queen, obviously the best move, however, their bot said that the best move was a suicidal check performed by my queen in which it could be taken out by a pawn. Yes, really. It constantly promotes these puzzles and analyses done by the bot, which needs improvement. This is why I do not recommend lichess beyond playing with people or friends. The community is great, the experience you can gain is great, but the bot they continually shove in your face will only serve to annoy you with its complete lack of ability to analyze.

honestc7
June 30th, 2021

Every other person you will play on this site is an engine cheater or has other guidance, making rating completely worthless as an indicator of skill. Playing games becomes incredibly anti-fun with player after player playing the exact same moves, with the exact same speed. Support people are non-existent, and automatic cheat detection is deficient to the point of being worthless, if any, that is, exists, in the first place.

livius
July 19th, 2020

Worst chess site. Dictatorial management. Dumb developers. I can go on and on. Better to play by yourself. They allow cheaters. Better yet encourage it with minor slaps on their wrists. They punish those that let the time run out a few secs while youre thinking ofcourse more harshly than cheaters. I guess youre not allowed to think in this game i a losing position and have to quit the game,,, how stupid. They lag in the game review dept. 2 week wait time to see your games played... another dumb

ashleyc916
June 14th, 2021

If you try and accuse someone of cheating you'll get a sleazy message saying repeating this will result in loss of communication. Which is ironic because I was trying to communicate and you've lost me as a player. Just awful. Zero stars.

magnusc3
October 24th, 2020

Cheaters run amok on the site, protected by admins. Reporting them leads to being muted. Covertly muted, so that others can still talk to you but your replies aren't delivered (you are not told this). Unethical all around.

davidb6086
April 29th, 2021

It's a very bad place to play chess. Got the worst experience and I just wanted to play the game with a real human and not a computer. Basically cheaters everywhere and no time to think about your next move, their timers are broken or something

md602
November 15th, 2021

There is zero support on this site. Not even an email link. Which considering your bombarded by "donate " prompts is terrible. This also means that moderators... abuse their powers and can allow cheating/ban whoever they like... making for the fairness factor to not be there on this site.

rajia2
August 2nd, 2021

Anyone trying Lichess.org as a free online chess club will be disappointed. Whether you play for a month or three years, sooner or later you will realize what Lichess amounts to: engine chess cheaters haven lased with loony bin administrators that close accounts for cheaters, non-cheaters, and chess talents alike. The player rating system is a disaster where you could play against ten different players of similar levels, win nine games, draw the last and end up with beginner's rating. The website always claim thousands of players logged at a time, yet always have a handfull of people available to play a game with. Players personal stats seem to claim non existing games and their wins and loses. And despite draconian treatment to visitors of this website in the name of stopping cheating, cheaters are dime a dozen, and if you are good at chess, the administrators will treat you as a cheater too. There are writers who are clearly hired to defend this worthless website typically stating that its dissatisfied visitors are the problem and not Lichess. This is usually a similar tactic to all bad products/services where junk positive reviews are created to drown the mountain of negative reviews revealing the truth. Don't take my word for it. Try this website for a while. I promise you, you will give up, become a cheater yourself, or get your account removed.

Now let me explain more about Lichess.org which claims to be a free online chess club. There is no such thing as free lunch. Its founder Thibault stated that he doesn't play chess much. He also stated that he doesn't care what visitors to his website think of it, and if they don't like it, tough. Then why did he create a free club for a game he doesn't even care about, for people he doesn't care about either? Well, he is not a communist hippie as many has claimed him to be. What he is actually is an artificial intelligence computer programmer. In other words, he is one of those who destroyed chess by creating the chess engine problem that they claim to be fighting against. Its like those who created the nuclear bomb claiming to want to undo its danger. Too late, it can't be undone.

See, chess was used as the fruit fly of A. I. scientists to learn and practice their evolving field with. The creators of the so called chess engines claim that these wonderful software programs can be used as great practice and analysis tool for chess players and not intended for cheating. What they don't mention is that these programs are not designed really to play like humans, but harness the immense numeric calculating power of the computer. Watching your numeric calculator getting accurate answers to math operations in a fraction of a second will not make you any better or faster at crunching numbers in your head anymore than watching a chess engine program destroy its opponent with perfectly calculated moves will make you play anywhere near its level.

To summarize, chess playing experience at Lichess is never a pleasant one. Its ratings are junk and its administrators are online power junkies. Its founder claim a free service but he gets unknown donation money amounts from his visitors that he abuses. All his claimed numbers seem highly manipulated and should lead to formal criminal investigation.

tanishk
March 19th, 2022

Horrible and arrogant behavior by the appeals committee. Below is the response that they sent on one of my son's account. He is just a beginner who is starting to learn chess and like to practice games on lichess because his coaching academy uses this site to teach him. Not sure why they dont want to allow new players who is learning to make couple of mistakes. If they are not comfortable, they can just restrict beginners from playing rated games. But these people are so arrogant that they decided to block the accounts permanently.

"Your account was closed because you have broken our rules on at least two other accounts.

You are no longer permitted to create new accounts.

We will only consider giving you another chance if you appeal again after 6 months. This waiting period is mandatory and will not be shortened for any reason.

We have the right to take strong action against users who repeatedly break our rules (lichess.org/terms-of-service) on multiple accounts by for example using engine or external assistance, sending offensive or "spam" messages, registering an unnecessary number of accounts, or trying to evade playbans."

Such a worst service I have never seen in my life.

just created online account which was blocked.

lichessi
October 13th, 2021

Bans the account if he wants with no proof. He is most likely a dictator. I am sorry for him. I was thinking that it is a better website than chess.com, but hell no. Chess.com is the king. Thibault makes people second-class citizen if he wants.

wt146
January 10th, 2020

My two accounts were closed yesterday with no explanation, advance warning or as it turns out, right to re-instate any of them. I am of course disgusted by this as I am a youtuber and had posted many of my videos with one of the lichess accounts. The explanation provided by lichess was multiple accounts and abusive behaviour. Lichess is entitled to decide what is abusive and what is not however I reserve myself the right to abuse back when I am abused. As for the multiple accounts I cannot think of any other chess playing web site that would shut down your accounts provided you have only two active ones and all the rest have been closed in the past. Lichess`s unwarranted and authoritarian actions will result in potential loss of income for me due to the fact I use my lichess account for my youtube videos which does generate some income for me. I will not leave this here and will be informing the general public about lichess`s authoritarian approach that hurts chess in general - show me any other website that closes your accounts - no explanation given, no warning, no right to re-instate. Clearly lichess has reached a new low in online censorship and I do not recommend this website to any chess fan that values freedom of expression.

de87
October 19th, 2020

Trash people. I got flagged for cheating but I didn't even cheat! I realised someone hacked into my account then flagged me, and as stupid as that, I got this thing under my name that said "This account violated the Lichess Terms of Service". THIS ALSO MEANT that i couldn't play any games with NON cheating players. This also meant I couldn't join ANY tournaments. So I told this to the moderators. But their response was "You are responsible for all activity on your account." and that's all. This got me so pissed off that i wrote this review. If you unflag me, I will gratefully give a 5 star review.

pavlins1
October 8th, 2021

I started playing chess in 2011. At chess com at the time. But since 2016 I play in lichess...
I am stunned from the level of cheating I meet there. I play for 10 years, I had lessons for chess before pandemic for 4 years and I can solve puzzles well. I am a person able to put checkmate in 7 moves if I have to.
At this place my bullet rating is 1500. I lose 90 % of my games, for a year playing somewhere around 10K games I won with checkmate 1K of them. The rest 9K - lost over time or lost due to checkmate. I never resign. Ever.
This website is ether full of cheaters or I am the most sore loser ever.
I think it is the first, since for 2 days playing from 1200 bullet rating I jumped to 1700 rating. This due to the fact I was reporting all of my games for those days as cheating ones. And receiving notifications that my opponents were caught.
But I still lose most of my games, because I can't know is someone cheating when I play.
I am giving up. This is pointless. Why there is so many cheaters?
Why when I report them in forum no one is responding my posts?
Obviously I was being muted.
I am no longer going to play chess there. It is pointless waste of time. Even people call me crazy and noob all the time. No punishment. At all.
Sick of it. Lichess, Good bye!

tomr719
February 20th, 2021

Played here for 6 months and then suddenly my account gets restricted. I email them and they reply with a one sentence email saying I have been using computer assistance. My rating is 1700 on blitz, 1800 on Bullet and 2000 on rapid. My rating on 1 minute games are similar to what i have when i play 10min games. I beat a few good players at 2000 rating but have lost to several between 1200-1600 (not sure how they got that low rating and played insanely good but whatever). Noticed that when you play 1 min games, some players don't even think for a second. I played a game with 35 moves each, i lost on time and my opponent used 3 seconds. Not humanly possible. So looks like they have tons of people cheating using bots, and they dont care about those but restrict people who try and play fair.
Worst site and support/admins are completely frauds.

davidh4786
November 29th, 2020

The site claims to be free for all, which is totally true. But they also use this an an excuse to be super arrogant "we are a free site and have no obligations so we/our admins can do whatever they feel like" and this is just horrible

kadenb7
June 7th, 2021

Time never ends unless your opponent leaves the game. Your opponent could recover from 2 seconds to 6 seconds every game

lichessu
February 25th, 2022

Has so many hackers, not letting me play, hacking accounts.
Lichess moderators closing account without any use.
Please do not try lichess.org/
A cheater betraying me, lichess.org/@/unnownuser, My friend on lichess was betraying me by lieing
On gmail, Not replying when online too

robertb5518
October 31st, 2021

I play a lot of chess online, and it used to be good fun. But lately, most chess websites such as Lichess, Chess.com Gameknot and Playchess.com are being run by a bunch of control freaks. When you play at these sites, I learned that you are not playing actual players, but rather a bot or the owners of the sites that are purposely making stupid moves. (sic) They do this to try and trick you get to become a member and pay for a membership. This is deceptive and really unfair for people who can't afford it. Also, it does a diservice to the game itself. You would think that they would want to promote the game for all, but for them it's just about the money. I guess they think people are stupid. But it just goes to show how stupid they are, because players like me will gradually stop playing at their websites and they will eventually become a cyber bot wasteland. It's mentally sadistic and truly sad for the game of chess.

Further, I want to thank sitejabber for giving people like myself the chance to vent their anger and frustration, as well as exposing the fraudulent behavior of these sites.

I suggest that people boycott these sites. They deserve no less in my opinion. Besides, it's just a waste of time.

Chess Websites

jackm929
April 28th, 2021

Lichess.org allows too many cheaters. Do yourself a favor, download chess.com. Thank you. Can't choose photo that I took.

Don’t use this site

Does it matter? Money hungry badgers☺️

bogdabk
March 30th, 2021

There are A LOT of players that made their account in (For example) in 2011 or 2013, and they played 1 or 2 games and quit, there are a lot of good usernames that are taken because of players like this...
Please make that if a player is offline (Quit) then ban there account or something!
Also, if you are about to mate someone in 1 move, or win, but your time runs out... Please make it just be a draw because a lot of games and rating is dropped because of mate in 1 missed opportunity
Thank You!

hirefayh
August 8th, 2021

The worst matchmaking system I've ever seen. Rating is not at all coresponding to the real skills. From 800 to 1800 people are basically with same skills.

bedub
January 3rd, 2022

Good software. Bad community of people. Developer is using this site to polish his over-inflated ego. They have a hivemind gang mentality and group up on individuals questioning their superiority.

aishrip
May 23rd, 2021

Liuchess is a very big fraud app. If someone wins all the games in the tournament it just exits from the user accout and shows that the user has violated the rules when he has not. It just cant tolerate the contionous win of somebody.

Legit, but if you have political views differing from an administrator, you may get shadow-banned.

By Bud M.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Lichess.org staff and other customers.

Free online Chess server. Play Chess now in a clean interface. No registration, no ads, no plugin required. Play Chess with the computer, friends or random opponents.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lichess.org?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

1.9
Have a question about Lichess.org?