musicMagpie

Reviews.io

musicMagpie has a consumer rating of 1.12 stars from 156 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about musicMagpie most frequently mention customer service, royal mail and good condition problems.musicMagpie ranks 47th among Sell Cell Phone sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 2.8%

No positive highlights yet

• Sent them an Xbox and I phone they were in good condition.
  • Accepted it and was sent a barcode to get scanned at post office.
How would you rate musicMagpie?

“Great”

Stephen F.
12/5/21

I was surprised to see so many negative reviews for MusicMagpie.co.uk. I've never sold to MM, only bought DVDs and CDs over the past couple of years and they have been fine. Any faulty discs were either refunded or replaced promptly. I personally can't fault them at all when it comes to buying media from them.

“Selling untried products”

oz w.
2/24/22

They sold me a Moto G8 power. I spent ages setting it up on WiFi but when I put a sim in it, it turned out to be a brick. I had to wrap it and send it back but rather than replace or repair they just gave me my money back wasting hours of my time. Not even offered an alternative or discout for being messed about. Shockingly poor customer service

phone (26) post office (3)
ozw2
February 24th, 2022

don't use these cowboys

alternative supplier

claytonw52
March 9th, 2022

I personally purchased two Apple iphone 12 pro max phones from this Company (Magpie) just before Xmas 2021! Unfortunately one was faulty, returned using their free label with Royal mail, three days later, accused of sending an iPhone 5c, instead of my iPhone 12! The fun began! No contact telephone numbers, just back and forth with emails! I more than proved the theft of my phone was (Magpies) responsibility, I after a month have only just received a refund, What an absolute joke of a company when things go wrong!

No wonder they called this company Magpie!

joanneb639
February 28th, 2022

I wish I'd read reviews first.
Sent a perfectly good condition phone and luckily I took photos before I returned and they state that everything in good condition but screen cracked even after I provided the photos they say they have qualified technical staff. I have declined the offer and waiting to receive my phone back. Which I'm hoping is in the condition I sent it in. Offer was 145.00 reduced to 40.00.

allir22
April 14th, 2022

I was offered £84 for my iPhone 8 64gb, which is in pristine condition and fully working order. As soon as they received it the offer was reduced to £25.20, citing it failed on the fingerprint sensor! They obviously couldn't fault it on anything else so chose this instead. I declined their offer and have just received my phone back. I have checked the fingerprint sensor and, quelle surprise, it's working perfectly! Total waste of time in my honest opinion and just complete fraudsters. Would definitely NOT recommend them.

Don’t bother

Selling iPhone to them

neilm495
June 4th, 2022

I accepted an offer of £280.50 for an IPAD Air 3 which I knew was top price
Sent it off via Royal Mail received text saying arrived and then 7 days of silence
Then this morning a text saying multiple damage to item offer reduced to £30.50
My guess is the business model is try and sell it in first 7 days and then if no sale return with specious excuse
This is fraud and also a trading g standards offence

Don’t use them to sell products when their price is clearly top of market
Given the internet the market in second hand electronics books etc is almost perfect ie both buyer and seller are fully informed of the market and therefore if they are offering over the market it’s because there is something wrong. My fault for being greedy

None

gayler133
April 8th, 2022

Items sent and offered price was a little low but i sent the items as i thought it would be easy to use. It took a week to review the items then instead offering 189 for a perfectly working iphone 11 they claimed cosmetic damage and offered 63 instead! No mention of my apple watch in the email so i'm now waiting for my goods to be returned when i could have sold them elsewhere. I will not be using them again.

avoid

jamesj2276
May 10th, 2022

Sent a two-year-old Galaxy S10+ to musicMagpie as a trade-in. Was quoted £135. Phone was in excellent condition, just a few minor scuffs, as you'd expect from a used phone. Once they received the phone, the quote was lowered to £35 due to a "cracked or smashed screen." I've had issues with trade-in companies before whereby they claim damage to reduce the quote in the hope that you accept. I had my suspicions, declined their offer and received the phone back. Sure enough, the screen was in near-perfect condition.

This is a common scam and reports of it across the internet are rife. However, I believe that it's legal, as these companies typically give you the opportunity to decline their offer and receive your item back. It's still incredibly poor practice, though. My advice is to trade in your phone with a mobile network provider (for a bit less money) or sell it on eBay (for a bit more).

Do not use this company, as they won't honour your quote. Even if you sent in a brand-new device I imagine they'd find "damage" of some kind. The giveaway is in this company's name - musicMagpie. Magpies are cunning and like stealing shiny objects, so the name makes complete sense.

nataliej276
June 12th, 2022

We leased an iPhone 8 Plus for my son. After a few months he decided he wanted to buy himself a newer model so we turned the iPhone 8 off and left it in a drawer ready to return at the end of the contract. A few weeks after this we needed to turn it back on to delete his banking app, but the phone wouldn't turn on. I raised a return as faulty and sent it back. Three weeks later I'd heard nothing, so I contacted the Live Chat who said they'd not received it, even though the tracking said delivered. They cut me off without resolving the issue so I emailed them (it's IMPOSSIBLE to speak to anyone). This then resulted in them telling me the phone was clearly broken due to our negligence and they would be charging me £238. I spent three days going back and forth with different people via email trying to establish what the damage was, how they can prove it was broken by us and a breakdown of these costs. I got various contradictory answers but none that gave any clarity.
I've woken this morning to find they have taken £238.74 from my account to cover the cost of repair! I am absolutely livid. This is tantamount to daylight robbery and I will be seeking advice on whether this is legal.
DO NOT USE MUSICMAGPIE!

danielb2397
March 6th, 2022

So I'm sorting out my dvd collection around 300+ I was Told music magpie was the place to go to sell your unwanted dvds out of the whole 300 they only accept 5 YES! 5. stay away from them they not to he trusted con artist

ollieg26
March 20th, 2022

Beware of musicMagpie! Their practice is to acquire cheap used phones with broken screens & replace them with 3rd party ones. The colour & resolution suffers. Apple confirmed this at a local store. The phone was described as "pristine." March 2019

none

laurenq96
May 18th, 2022

Originally bought a Nintendo Switch console for £250 which arrived fine but after about a month the left dualcon controller stopped working so I asked under the warranty if it could be repaired of replaced. MM sent me their own return label which I used to send back the console. Royal Mail messed up and lost the parcel. I contacted MM and wasn't replied to for weeks I had to go through social media just to get any sort of help. MM told me to make a claim with Royal Mail so I did but only got £100 back for a £250 console, when I contacted MM as the label they provided obviously didn't cover the full insurance so I lost out on £150 and MM refused to compensate for the rest of my money lost. Told me to make a claim with Royal Mail then when I've explained that I did but didn't get fully compensated, they changed their mind and said they were the ones that needed to claim to get the money back. Clearly making it up as you go along and clearly don't care about customer satisfaction and were making any excuse not to compensate me. Never had customer service like it. Will never use this company again.

They don’t reply for a long time and will do anything not to refund you.

Console

carold1402
February 25th, 2022

Appalling. Sent me a faulty item so I returned it. They claimed the item I returned wasn't the one they'd sent me. I repeated told them they'd made a mistake. Instead of looking into it, they just sent the item back to me again!
Finally, they agreed they were wrong, but now won't refund until I return the item, which, as I am away from my address, won't be for 6 weeks.
Entirely their fault that their records were wrong and that they re-sent the item to me without resolving the issue.
Now I'm out of pocket and have to hope the package is at my address when I get back. Then I have to return it. Then hope they get it right this time and refund me.
Meanwhile they'll have had my money for over two months!
Shambles.

cleom36
March 22nd, 2022

Useless, lost my items even though royal mail tracking clearly says delivered. Keep getting fobbed off and saying they will look into it. I think I won't see the money for my xbox game. Don't use these people.

andrewg1490
April 25th, 2022

My strong advice would be not to use this company. I was selling them a Samsung A71 in perfect condition because I had a newer model and was quoted £70. I have today received notification that the screen is cracked (which it wasn't when I posted it and I posted per musicMagpie guidelines). Sadly I didn't consider taking photos of the phone before sending but I do have a record of all the details and eagerly await to see if I get the same phone back. Expect an update when I do. Please, please read the reviews hear before using this company.

Take multiple photos of your phone before sending, so that you can conclusively prove the condition when you sent it. In my case either they or the post office have damaged my phone, or music magpie are trying to scam me - I can't see any other options.

Mobile phone, although I didn't "use" it in the end.

iratei3
June 10th, 2022

Mint condition Iphone XR sent on the basis that I would get £140. Some bull$#*! that their "top quality" technicians examined it and claimned the the LED screen was broken and that the screen has white dots on it. Not the case at all.
I demanded my phone back in the exact condition it was sent to them.
Shame on this company,,

fontainef
May 27th, 2022

I never received my order and its been hugely problematic to get a refund. Seems to be run by robots. Don't waste your time using music magpie.

Don't bother

Phone

sarahg1607
June 14th, 2022

Sent a tablet off before with no issues then sent my husbands Samsung S20 packaged well in its original box initially offered £200 always had a screen protector and cover on it no scratches like new, they revised the offer to £40 because apparently the screen was damaged. Initially we thought it got damaged in transit we asked for photos as we were shocked at how it could be damaged being in a box. Thank goodness we read these reviews as we declined and they sent it back and would you believe it nothing wrong with the screen! Absolute crooks! We are now taking it to CEX I'll settle for less money, would give no stars if I could! Please avoid not worth the hassle.

peters2004
October 30th, 2021

Music magpie I find them so irritating at times when ordering music from them I've experienced serval problems with them and I can't help but feel they are not listening you have a order number and a title for a album cd that you have ordered from them and it's still wrong you return the cd but wait about a week for your money back so you attempt to order the same album cd that you wanted in the first place and get a different order number and sit there hoping they get it right this time to make sure I have ordered the right album cd I go on to their chat line only to be informed about the first album cd and not about the second one I just don't get it but I will just have to wait until it sinks in and it all works out but not got much confidence in it happening and probably have to go through more conversations before it's sorted out

Music CDs

steveh2910
April 10th, 2022

Sent a big batch of PS2 games, dvds and cd's.
They seemingly cherry pick out any of the items in the delivery, which are worth anything, and find something wrong with them.
Several dvds were worth a few pounds, which is slightly different from their "few pence", which there was not anything wrong with, and they've found something wrong with, either being incomplete (they were all complete), artwork being damaged (again utter bollocks)... just a way in which they can screw you over!
Won't be using them again, utter theives!

Avoid and try elsewhere, as they will find a way to not honour the price they gave you when buying your unwanted stuff off you

mickr35
October 22nd, 2020

Sent my wife's Samsung S9 to these jokers as I was offered £140. Surprise surprise, just like many of the other decent folk on here we were offered a reduced cost of £30 as they said the phone has LCD and pixel issues.
The phone is in mint condition - we obviously declined the offer and just hope we get the correct phone back from them. Shocking that Trustpilot rate them highly - pity I found this website too late.

adamt636
January 8th, 2022

Sent an excellent condition IPhone XR 128GB, literally has a few tiny scratches on the bottom near the charge port, they quoted me £175, got an Email today saying they've revised the offer to £52 as it passed everything except front microphone not working properly!?
Funny that as it worked perfectly fine when I last used it a few months ago.
The microphone must have stopped working over these last few months, you know while the phones been sitting in a bubble wrapped envelope in my bed site table because I forgot about it.
Shame as iv always had a good experience buying from them.

Not Applicable

tinae210
March 16th, 2022

I sent 3 parcels and they claimed to only receive 2 despite my sending proof from Hermes. They did reply to my emails but the responses were incoherent and kept asking for proof of postage which I repeatedly told them I'd sent. They then said they'd paid. I said yes, for 2 parcels and not the 3rd which is my query to which they said we need proof from Hermes! It just keeps going round in circles. They are either a) very cleverly avoiding admission by ignoring my request, b) extremely thick c) a robot is replying and is unable to use human common sense. Do not send anything. They always give less than promised if you're lucky enough that they admit receiving it in the 1st place. Absolutely idiots

melh88
October 30th, 2020

Decided to sell my Ipad, in great working order and had been in a cover since purchased. After they received it they said it was worthless and they would recycle it. Initially said they would pay £138.00. I will never use them again. AVOID.

harryp249
October 14th, 2021

Sent them in an iPhone XR 128gb storage offered at £225 had a protective screen and case on it from day one after buying sent it in got a revised offer of £202.5 as apparently there were deep scratches on it untrue it's a scam yet there selling same quality iPhones for £400 absolutely a joke

Ipjone

stephend22
October 12th, 2020

Horrible!
Have bought various times over the years (lured back only due to price or if they are the only ones selling a book at a reasonable price) but what was once fine standard wise has gone downhill in every way...
Items nearly always arrived damaged & NOT as described & to make matters WORSE, 'customer service staff' are dismissive & will at BEST offer only a fixed 5 pound refund or push to send the item back (even if postage puts you out double or more to do).
Points/facts raised will NOT be considered or addressed.
Horrendous all in all & can't say i'll ever use them again.

buy elsewhere!!

books

They quote you a price then say it does not pass the quality checks. They will also not send the items back as they get 'recycled'

By Natasha H.